Leaking Wheel Seal

/ Leaking Wheel Seal #1  

TORQUIN

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830
My L3830 has a right front wheel seal leaking. Just started Saturday, after just getting it back from the dealer on 6-23. It was at the dealer to fix the LEFT front wheel seal, which was leaking. And my warranty just expired, on June 14th. I got the left seal done under warranty because I go tthe tractor to them to fix before the 14th.

My questions for you guys.
1. Should I approach the Kubota dealer about this considering the timing?
2. What's involved in replacing a wheel seal on the front of an L3830?
3. Will I need any special tools?
4. How much fluid will I lose? It is my understanding the the UDT is the everything fluid for this tractor, meaning it is used for everything except engine lubrication. If that's the case, are all of the passages inside the tractor connected, and won't Lose all of my fluid when I pull the axle to work on the wheel seal?
5. Are there any tricky procedures or "gotchas" I should know before I work on this?

Thanks,
Chris

/ Leaking Wheel Seal #2  
My L3130 started leaking a few weaks ago as well, right front. Its not leaking much though, over several days it will leave a small spot on the floor. The fluid in the front axle is 90wt not UDT in mine. The tractor has a little over 800 hours on it. Seems kinda low on the hours to have it leaking already.

I've got the book at home and will try to remember to knock the dust off it tonight.

/ Leaking Wheel Seal #3  
My right front lip seal has also started to leak on my L3130. I have 487 hrs on it and is covered under the 3 yr warranty on drivetrain seals.
I talked to the dealer and he is going to fix it.

/ Leaking Wheel Seal #4  
The manual is fairly sparse on decriptions. It does say...

(When reassembling)
Install the shims in thier original position.
Install the oil seal of bevel gear case, noting its direction.

/ Leaking Wheel Seal
Theowegian said:
My right front lip seal has also started to leak on my L3130. I have 487 hrs on it and is covered under the 3 yr warranty on drivetrain seals.
I talked to the dealer and he is going to fix it.

I am under the impression that I got a 2 year warranty, but when I reviewed my paperwork on the tractor I could find nothing that stated what the warranty period was.
I wonder if I have a 3 year warranty on this also. The tractor is 2 years old, June 14th, and has 443 hours on it.

Thanks,
Chris

/ Leaking Wheel Seal #6  
I am certain that these seals are covered under a three warranty for the Grand L's. You might want to check on this - should save you some $$.
Best of luck to you.
dwight

/ Leaking Wheel Seal #7  
The front right seal on my L3000DT started leaking a little just after the warrantee period was over, around the 300 hour mark. The volume of fluid that leaks is small so right now I just check to level every time I use it. Seems strange that several others have had this same issue, wonder if it is a bad batch of seals?

Randy

/ Leaking Wheel Seal
I just looked up the warranty PDF on the Kubota web site, and confirmed what you are saying about the 36 month "drivetrain" warranty, which covers the axles and seals within.
Thank you very much for your knowledge. This will definitely save me a few bucks. I just have to wait for the dealer to get to it. The last time they had it almost 2 weeks before they even touched it, and they aren't very receptive to giving me an appoinment so I can bring it in when they can get to it.
I wonder about the seals myself. It's prety weird having both front seals go within a month of each other. The right one is leaking worse than the left one did.
I also verified in my owner's manual that you can use SUDT OR 80-90 gear oil in the front axle. Apparently the lubrication of this component is separated from the rest of the tractor. This is different from what the dealer lead me to believe.

Thanks again to the contributors of this thread,
Chris

/ Leaking Wheel Seal
Stopped by the dealer today, and while getting filters I mentioned my other wheel seal was gone. He said he wasn't surprised. One usually follows right behind the other, and the bearings are probably bad also. I asked if the bearings where bad on the left one he just fixed and was told there were. I asked why. He went into his tirade about these not being bulldozers, but the jist of what he said was the bearing failure is because or overloading the FEL, and not having enough counter-balance on the back. Apparently both are contributors, but I don't know that one is more than the other.
The heaviest thing I have to put on the back is my BH90. I'm not sure how heavy my grader box is, but that's what's usually on the back when doing loader work.

Chris

/ Leaking Wheel Seal #10  
Torquin:
Thanks for letting me know that I probably have a bearing going out along with my seal leak.

Yeah, that dealer's a-whinin' about these tractors not being bulldozers.
I assume since it is warranty work, the dealer just charges the cost of rework back to Kubota Corp, right?

I estimate that my FEL is only on 20-30% of the time. And I really dont work it that hard...