Tire valve stem gone!

/ Tire valve stem gone! #1  

FrogLick

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSD
Here's one for ya. Yesterday I'm loading up the FEL with some fallen branches, etc. and notice that the front tire looks low (B3030 w/R4's). Thinking I need to fire up the compressor and add a little air, I take a closer look and notice that the bead seems to be separated from the rim; little closer look and notice that the valve stem is completely missing! Damn, all loaded up and no where to go! More importantly, where did the valve stem go and how long have I been driving around without any air? It's not inside the tire and I haven't seen any deer killed by flying valve stems. Anyone had this happen to them? It's always something...

/ Tire valve stem gone! #2  
If your front tires have tubes installed then the tube and valve stem probably just rotated inside of the tire. You might be able to rotate the tube/stem back in place without removing the tire. If you don't have a tube you will have to unmount at least 1 bead from the rim to install a new stem.

/ Tire valve stem gone! #3  
FrogLick -

A few years back I was widening a break in a stone wall with a JD rental unit - working some rocks free with the FEL - all of a sudden I hear loud hissing....

As the tractor had 4WD engaged - and I was driving into the pile of rocks - one of the front wheels spun against some of the rocks I'd loosened up - and completely sheared the valve stem off the rim!

I'll guessing you won't find the stem inside the wheel....I'm thinking you also spun a wheel while against a branch / log - and (accidentally) lost your valve stem that way.

I notice that my B7610 has half-moon / full circle "reinforcements" welded to the rims to protect this from happening.

Hope that helps,

Dan

/ Tire valve stem gone! #4  
I just replaced a valve stem but with a different issue. I too must have spun the tires in some mud or what have you. I had a slow leak in the front of my bx22. I took the tire off and dunked it to find the leak . I noticed a small leak at the valve stem where it goes into the rim. I rotated the stem and the leak went away, them rotated it a little more and the air was coming out fast. $4.00 later all is well. The only concern I have is the new stem is a bit longer and may get caught easier. Guess its not too bad first tire issue in 4 years and 410 hours on the machine.

/ Tire valve stem gone! #5  
DanR67 said:
FrogLick -

A few years back I was widening a break in a stone wall with a JD rental unit - working some rocks free with the FEL - all of a sudden I hear loud hissing....

As the tractor had 4WD engaged - and I was driving into the pile of rocks - one of the front wheels spun against some of the rocks I'd loosened up - and completely sheared the valve stem off the rim!

I had the same exact thing happen to my L3710 front wheel valve stem sheared off by hitting a rock during a turn.
Two good things
1 It was a front tire
2 This is where I first realized my tractor had built in jacks, made a quick job of it.

/ Tire valve stem gone! #6  
Does your wheel have valve stem guards? If not you want to make some and tack weld them in place to prevent a future occurrence.

Attachments

• valve stem guard.JPG
    valve stem guard.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 684
   / Tire valve stem gone! #7  
George2615 said:
Does your wheel have valve stem guards? If not you want to make some and tack weld them in place to prevent a future occurrence.
My machine does have valve stem guards. Still didn't save me, somehow I just happened to turn the tire the right way, or maybe I should say wrong way.

/ Tire valve stem gone! #8  
A pipe nipple and a threaded cap covering the stem is about the best way to prevent damage to it. You could also use a metal bolt-on valve stem. They can definately still be broken off.... but they are tougher than a rubber stem.

/ Tire valve stem gone!
Here's the update. I took the tire to a tire shop to have a new stem installed and the bead reset. As the guy is placing the wheel in the back of my truck I notice a bubble in the side wall next to the rim on the inside where I wouldn't have noticed it before. I can deflect it a little and it "burps" the air out of the bubble then slowly refills until it relieves itself again. Looks like I have a defective tire with ply separation and it's been slowly leaking all along and finally got low enough that I managed to break the bead seal. Only about 20 hrs. on these tires so I'll talk to my salesman tomorrow and see what he can do for me. The rims do have stem guards and there wasn't anything on the inside of the (tubeless) tire so who knows where that stem went.

/ Tire valve stem gone! #10  
copperhead1967 said:
Guess its not too bad first tire issue in 4 years and 410 hours on the machine.

WOW, do you ever take it off the road:D:D
I have slime in all four tires and I only have 95 hours on mine.