glow plug indicator

/ glow plug indicator #1  

ric

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 245DT and 175F
I have a L245DT. When I heat the glow plugs the indicator in the dash does not glow red as it should. I checked all the wires and connections. There are two wires from the ignition switch to this unit. When heating the plugs both wires are hot. One wire is connected to one side of the indicator and the other wire is connected to the other side. One of the wires also goes to the glow plugs. This is also how it's drawn in the manual. My problem is that the indicator never glows red even as the glow plugs heat up. Any ideas? This is not keeping the engine from starting this just doesn't work and I'd like to get it working. Thanks. ric

/ glow plug indicator #2  
ric,

Of the two wires one should be finding it's way to ground (tractor frame). The fact that both appear to be hot says the bulb is OK, your reading the voltage to the bulb from the switch thru the light bulb. To check, take the wire from the bulb that does not route to the glow plug and route it to the frame. To be cautious you can do this through a fuse or another bulb (less lamp intensity).
Al

/ glow plug indicator #3  
Ric

Mine never gets real red unless it is left on for quite a while.

Also hard to see if outdoors. In my shed it is OK.

I never look at it anyway - Just count for a bit.

Then again we live in a tropical climate.

PS - Twinkletoes - These indicators we are referring to are a resistance coil, that heats up and glows, in line with the plugs.

It isn;t a light or a bulb like probably most of everyone's flash new tractors have.

Ric & I have "oldies" !!

Cheers

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ glow plug indicator #4  
/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Thanks Neil, Just when you think you got it figured out...... whoops.
My "flashey" new tractors have bulbs, never occured to me that some were different. My failure mode is different. The glow indicator will light up even if the plugs are not connected./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I think I like the "old" better.
Al

/ glow plug indicator
Neil, You are correct this has a resistance wire that is supposed to glow when power is applied. You can't tell from the wiring diagram if one of the wires is supposed to be a ground or not. Checking the wiring I also thought one of the wires would be a ground but you'd think the ground would not be in the switch. I also have an L175F that has the same set up and works like it should. You can only see it glowing when it's inside like you said. I'll be checking that tractor tomorrow. Thanks, ric

/ glow plug indicator #6  
Gee ric you have a pair of golden oldies by the sound of it.

I couldn't get an owner's manual for my L1501 (L185/175) so they found me one for an L245. From what I see, they are very similar apart from engine size etc.

What do you do with both tractors? - Given that they are similar etc.

Twinkle Toes - That's OK. You fiddle away with your fancy bulbs. I bet you might even have a/c, cruise control, central locking, power steering on yours too !!/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Ric & I have and engine with a seat strapped on.

Refer my pic in PHOTOS for a pic of my oldy !

Cheers

/ glow plug indicator #8  
Scruffy.

Yes I should say, I could get a manual, but they were REAL expensive. So for what I needed to know, the L245 gave me the basics.

I have got on to a good mechanic now, so he tells me all I need to know.

Cheers

/ glow plug indicator
Neil, The L175F is a two wheel drive unit with a Continental belly mower that we use just for mowing. It's very fast, with quick steering, making it easy to work around trees mowing about 4 acres of hilly property. The L245DT is 4wd with an FEL with no PS and is used with various implements including a pull behind finish mower. Both units were low hours units when I bought them. There's a new I&T Shop Service manual out for the L175 and L185 family of L Series tractrors. The number is K201. This one is not expensive and better written than the older versions. Check with Parts@tractorsmart.com you might be able to download a copy of the service, owners and parts manual for a L175 or L185 that could be useful. Thanks, ric

/ glow plug indicator #10  
Ric

So your 175 has a mid PTO??

I don't think out L185's had that. Mine certainly doesn't.

Unless one can be fitted? - A belly mower would be attractive to me.

How's the 245 with loader without power steering - Heavy ??

Cheers