Backhoe Small stump removal w/o backhoe?

/ Small stump removal w/o backhoe? #1  

hsvhobbit

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4630
I have a few small stumps that could really stand removing but I don't have a backhoe or even FEL for my Kubota 4630. I was told by a relative that I could use a subsoiler to gradulally work my way around the stump and cut the roots, then chain up and drag out the stump. Is this a viable approach or am I just stuck having someone come in and grind them up.

The stumps in question are around 4-5" in diameter.

Is there an alternate approach that would be more efficient? I've just purchased the tractor a few months ago and currently only have a cutter, boxblade and am taking delivery of a tiller tomorrow...none of those seem of use in this situation :)

/ Small stump removal w/o backhoe? #2  
Before I had my BX I had excellent results by using a heavy rope with shackles on both ends, so it would not bite into the rope. It was about 15'-20' long. I then got a spare truck tire mounted and pressurized. Tie onto the stump towards the base, set the tire up on end like your rolling it, run the rope over the tire, keeping the tire close to the stump. Tie the other end onto the truck draw bar using the shackle. Steadily put tension on the rope, ensuring the tire remains upright, and then with just a little stretch left in the rope, yank using HP and clutch. The idea is to pull the stump upward, not sideways, the tire keeps the rope at a good angle to perform this action, just tie on low and keep tire close to stump. It’s harder to explain than do, but does require 2 people, one driver and one spotter. The tree will pop out like a cork with minimal terrain damage. You may have to do it in different directions, and always 180 degrees out from the larger roots, this action will break them off at ground level. I have yanked, peach and pear trees as well as a very large catalpa, but I was able to use 4x4 on pavement for that one.
Be very sure to keep the spotter away in case the rope breaks, or use a blanket over the rope to remove the elasticity should it break.
I used a CJ-5 with the straight 6, still have it. This is still my perfered way to remove smaller trees with little impact, and yes I have the BH on the BX.
I do not think the tractor would work, as the mass of the jeep or truck combined with the quicker tug, actually snaps the roots off, compared to a steady pull of a tractor, which I believ would do more lawn damage.

/ Small stump removal w/o backhoe? #3  
I have been doing it a little different? If you have electricity or a generator, get a saws-all with a wood blade and dig out roots and just cut them below ground.
Works great for me
Jim

/ Small stump removal w/o backhoe? #4  
I use the FEL to dig around the tree, then hack the roots with an axe or sawzall. Sometimes they come quick, sometimes the take a couple passes...dig, cut, dig, cut...but eventually you get enough of them.

I have a heavy tow strap. I wrap the ends around the tines of my box blade then loop the thing around the stump that I cut off about 4 feet above the ground. Helpful if you make a notch to hold the rope up.

Then I start yanking. I get a foot or so running start. Seems a little painful, but I've removed about 20 trees with no ill-effect. I'll pull one way, then another. If she's going to go, you'll see it wiggle a little. If it is firm, you'll need to chop a couple more roots.

I've taken 12" and 15" stumps out using this method. If you've already cut the stumps to the ground, good luck.

/ Small stump removal w/o backhoe? #5  
As small as your stumps are your relatives method should work.

/ Small stump removal w/o backhoe? #6  
You might want to try a chemical stump remover. I just had about 30 trees in the 3-12" diameter range removed from my yard. I have no backhoe. So, I bought this powder, called (you guessed it) "Stump Remover." You drill a 1" hole into the top of the stump (more than one hole on top if larger diameter), and then another 1" hole into the side of the stump. You add a smallish amount of this powder into the holes, and the add water. Supposedly, if this stuff works, the stumps will mostly deteriorate within 6 weeks. I've heard from a friend of my wife that the stuff does work, although it takes longer than what the bottle says. I plan to do it later this summer, and then use my FEL to dig out what's left next Spring.

/ Small stump removal w/o backhoe? #7  
Everything written in this Post will work but if you want immediate results designate an older chain saw as a 'stump saw' and use it to cut these stumps flush. It will take years before you will have to backfill because of rot.