Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #1  

kjbpe

New member. I purchased a 2001 L48 w/600hrs. The Trans/Hydro fluid was low/very low and now the medium speed is very slow; it doesnt respond much to a very high idle in medium. The low and high seem the same. The high is a dog with just a little loading. Could something have blown or should I start with filters and new fluid? Thanks for help.

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #2  
I have an L 48 with none of the problems you list, I do however change all filters each 50 hours and change the hydraulic oil three times so far in 350 hours... Perhaps change out the filters first and go from there..

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #3  
Start with new fluids and filters, hydrostatics are somewhat tollarent of being run with low fluid - but damage can be done if it goes too long or too low.

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #4  
The medium range is very low geared ask RAT, that is why he got rid of his, too slow for mowing. The high range is a transport only range, no good for doing anything with.

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #5  
slowzuki said:
The medium range is very low geared ask RAT, that is why he got rid of his, too slow for mowing. The high range is a transport only range, no good for doing anything with.

Very good memory. The medium range is about 4.5 mph and low is about 2 mph with high jumping all the way up to about 17. For whatever reason, high on the L48 is very weak compared even to the high on my L3830. Both are about the same mph but the high on the L48 has trouble with its own shadow while on the L3830 with basically one less cylinder then the L48 does quite well in high. The L48 differs that it has a planetary rear end versus the spur gear of the L3830. The L48 does not need its filters changed every 50 hours thank goodness, it would get costly very quickly. If your getting them dirty that fast, you have some other problem. The L48 uses two hydraulic filters, one HST hydraulic filter and one engine oil filter. I would certainly suggest changing out the oil and hydrstatic filter at a minimum.

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #6  
Well said Rat,Very well said!

I don't think id want to mow with my 48. Though, maybe brush once or twice a year.High gears good if ya live on the flats or for rolling down the road. I stay in med most the time and low when really working her hard Log decking,car coralling,heavy debris/spills rock&mud. I just crank up the rpm's in medium when scooping and lower them once I've picked up.

I sure dont want to change my oil every 100 hours and filters every 50,but hey if it makes ya feel better go for it it can't hurt it.

These are Kubota's TLB/ construction models if ya want to mow you do what Rat did and get an L series, I sure wouldn't mind having a BX,or a small L for doing lightwork/mowing

Sure glad i didn't buy a case either......L48=versatility

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #7  
Go to the dealer and get fluids and filters.
Bob

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW
It appears that medium is just slow and high is underpowered after the responses. I did get the fluid and filters and when I find a 15 gallon container:) I'll change them out and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #9  
You do not need a 15 gallon container, just go to the filters first and drain out from those, then the lower plugs. There are a few times that you may need to screw a plug back in, but done quickly, you get very little fluid on your hands and it is so clean, it comes off very easy. I just use 5 gallon buckets.

kjbpe said:
It appears that medium is just slow and high is underpowered after the responses. I did get the fluid and filters and when I find a 15 gallon container:) I'll change them out and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.

/ Kubota L48 HST ---SLOW #10  
kjbpe said:
I did get the fluid and filters

Check you manual for location of strainers too. Some HST machines havew strainers on the hydraulic lines; these can get blocked up.