50 hour service L2800 HST

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST #1  

Marcussen

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L2800 HST
I am getting close to the 50 hour change, and I have a few questions after reading my owners manual and talking to my local dealer. My local dealer will sell me all I need for the service for $177 (UDT) or they will do it for $305, they said SUDT was not necessary and would cost more. (my owners manual points out the tractor was serviced with SUDT when it left the factory). After reading this forum I understand that the tractor is all metric. :confused: Question is does anyone know what size wrenches or sockets I need for the various drain plugs:confused: ? I was thinking about synthetic fluids (engine, transmission, and front end) any recomendations other than amsoil? I would like to buy the fluids in a store not mail order.

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST #2  
Marcussen said:
any recomendations other than amsoil? I would like to buy the fluids in a store not mail order.

www.messicks.com (sorry, not local)
By the SUDT from your dealer.
Have fun.
Take your time.
Bob

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST #3  
Are you still debating if you are going to do it yourself? The price to have it done sounds pretty good for the complete service. If you decide to do it yourself... don't beat yourself up over what brand oil and filters to use. I recommend either using all OEM (Kubota) stuff or oils and filters that meet the specs of the factory equipment. My Kubota dealer sold a hydraulic fluid that was what a lot of their customers used... it met Kubota specs and costed considerably less than the UDT. I would suggest buying the UDT (or equivalant) from your dealer. As far as oil and filters... your local auto parts store will have those that are as good or better than OEM and will cost about the same or less. I used to use all WIX filters (oil, air, fuel, hyd.), Chevron Delo oil, and whatever I could get for stuff like front axle gear oil (80/90).

It's all about what you want to do. But keep this in mind.... as long as you use the recommended specs or their equivalant... you are gonna be just fine. We have old Ford, Massey, and JD tractors at work that we have put generic oil and filters in and several of them have 8000+ hours with no issues related to preventative maintenance. There is no doubt that oil and filters make a difference.... but they don't matter near as much as some would like to think.

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST
I figured I would do it myself, and I figured on buying filters etc. from my local dealer at least while it's in warranty. In my cars I buy whatever oil is cheapest and they usualy last 200,000 miles or more, never had any oil related failures, but I hope my tractor will last 20-30 years or more so I figured maybe a little better quality was called for..

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST #5  
Marcussen said:
I am getting close to the 50 hour change, and I have a few questions after reading my owners manual and talking to my local dealer. My local dealer will sell me all I need for the service for $177 (UDT) or they will do it for $305, they said SUDT was not necessary and would cost more. (my owners manual points out the tractor was serviced with SUDT when it left the factory). After reading this forum I understand that the tractor is all metric. :confused: Question is does anyone know what size wrenches or sockets I need for the various drain plugs:confused: ? I was thinking about synthetic fluids (engine, transmission, and front end) any recomendations other than amsoil? I would like to buy the fluids in a store not mail order.

I would just go to dealer and buy the supplies their, first time anyway. I know I'm just going to stick with the Kubota products for the most part but thats just me. I do not think you will get a consitant answer on the SUDT/UDT. I just use the SUDT even though i do not operate in the winter.
Dealer tells me fel could become jumpy??? I kinda doubt it would though since a lot of people here are using UDT and not having problems. But I guess i just do not want to take chance. As far as socket sizes from what i've read here both metric and standard are on the tractor. If you are going to do the service you're self you should invest in a socket set of mixed metric standard.
They are not that expensive <$100, if you buy them indivually as you need them you will pay a lot more in the long run. Plus you are going to want to tighten or need another size for something down the road. 1" and less would be good start for sockets. It will not cover everything but most.

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST
Bob53 said:
I would just go to dealer and buy the supplies their, first time anyway. I know I'm just going to stick with the Kubota products for the most part but thats just me. I do not think you will get a consitant answer on the SUDT/UDT. I just use the SUDT even though i do not operate in the winter.
Dealer tells me fel could become jumpy??? I kinda doubt it would though since a lot of people here are using UDT and not having problems. But I guess i just do not want to take chance. As far as socket sizes from what i've read here both metric and standard are on the tractor. If you are going to do the service you're self you should invest in a socket set of mixed metric standard.
They are not that expensive <$100, if you buy them indivually as you need them you will pay a lot more in the long run. Plus you are going to want to tighten or need another size for something down the road. 1" and less would be good start for sockets. It will not cover everything but most.

Iwill go with SUDT for transmission and a good quality gear oil for the front end plus a 10w-30 that meets the specs for the engine. As far as socket I already have complete set SAE plus various metric, I just wanted to make sure I had the correct size. I guess I can line up my metric sockets and compare a socket set to buying the sizes I don't have.

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST #7  
You don't need very many sockets to do the service, so if you have a few already you are probably all good.

On the other hand, a new metric socket set will run you less than the SUDT from the dealer ;-).

It is pretty easy to do your own service. The price you were quoted was a good one, but the problem with having a dealer do it (other than $$$) is they always seem to work on their schedule, not yours.

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST #8  
I needed a 27mm socket for the drain plug of the HST fluid on my BX24. You might sure you have one that fits that plug on your tractor before you tear into it.

/ 50 hour service L2800 HST #9  
I bought Kabota Filters (4x), engine oil & SUDT, for my L2800 in Mt. Airy, NC for $194 - I'm trying to get my 3 point hitch valve changed out by this dealer (who's closer & on the way home). Not yet sure about sockets sizes but can let you know next week when I do mine. Teg