Bucket level indicator

/ Bucket level indicator #1  

BlacknTan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-7800
I'm speaking of the LA 402 loader, but I see them on other buckets also. Does anyone find the level indicator (L shaped bracket welded to the bucket) to be of any value at all in determining bucket position?

Are there any better methods available adaptable to the bucket on this loader?

/ Bucket level indicator #3  
BlacknTan said:
Does anyone find the level indicator (L shaped bracket welded to the bucket) to be of any value at all in determining bucket position?

After you use it for awhile you develop an eye for using it. Having said that, my delaer did install a rod/tube type on my LA402 before I picked it up. ;)

/ Bucket level indicator #4  
BlacknTan said:
I'm speaking of the LA 402 loader, but I see them on other buckets also. Does anyone find the level indicator (L shaped bracket welded to the bucket) to be of any value at all in determining bucket position?
I do.

My loader is the LA402 with 54" bucket.

Perhaps I am in the minority...but I like the indicator on the bucket, as more often than not, I am interested in bucket position relative to the tractor/ground, and don't normally care much if the bucket is level. Not sure if this makes any sense...guess this thinking comes from living in Western PA where flat is the exception rather than the rule.

I guess what I am really trying to say, is that the indicator on the bucket tells me pretty accurately what the angle of the bucket bottom/tooth bar teeth is. I am not sure if I could get the same information to register in my brain if I had to interpret the postion of a rod and equate that to bucket angle.

The rod type indicator is probably superior if one wanted to always set his bucket at one angle (or level) time after time. I don't need to do that...so I like the simple indicator welded to the top of the bucket.

/ Bucket level indicator #5  
I use it all the time. It’s great when you’re floating the bucket pushing back brush or working a pile. I also use fell forks a lot too. I level the bucket and then look over the top to pick stuff off my pick up. It is very handy, I’m glad it is there.

/ Bucket level indicator
Timber,
I recall the pics of your new B-7800, which is what I'm ready to buy also. Did you do any reinforcement to the top edge of your bucket?

/ Bucket level indicator #7  
As a fairly new tractor owner, I find the term bucket level indicator deceptive. The rod type indicators only indicate the bucket is parallel to the tractor frame and this is only true at one point on the lift arm arc. In other words, if you set the bucket "level" by the rod indicator and raised the bucket up as high as it would go, the rod would still indicate level, but the bucket would be pointing up. I am not discounting the value of the bucket level indicator, but rather pointing out that it is not really a level indicator. It is only a level indicator when the tractor is level and the loader arms are letting the bucket touch level ground. That being said, I have the L type bracket and I do find it usefull, but I intend on making the level indicator pointed to by the previous post.

/ Bucket level indicator #8  
BlacknTan said:
Timber,
I recall the pics of your new B-7800, which is what I'm ready to buy also. Did you do any reinforcement to the top edge of your bucket?
LOL No I haven’t the heart to put the welder to it yet. I have been doing my share of scratching up the bucket. Something about burning that shiny new paint for the 1st time! I’ll get to it pretty soon though. I have some other projects going on that are more pressing. My wife’s in ground pool is going in 1st week in September so I have a lot of landscape prep to do on that plus I have to take down the above ground pool as well.

/ Bucket level indicator #9  
I find the rod type indicator most helpful when "skimming" material off of grass or an already level surface. It takes very little change in the angle of attack to either dig in or ride up an over. My eyes are not good enough to see that small variation from level with just the standard angle indicator. With the rod it is very easy to see a very slight change in angle, either up or down. The standard indicator does have some usefulness to me however, the rod adds a whole new dimension of control that lets me do more than is possible with just the standard indicator.

/ Bucket level indicator #10  
No problems here with the standard, im used of just looking at the top of the cat buckets ( 277 track & 416 hoe) also our 302 fel on the B 7500 had the same set up. No offence to anyone, but i think that rod deal is just an accident waiting to happen, be it getting hung up on a tree or guy wire, or taking an eye out, its simply not a good design, again thats just my humble opinion.