Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight?

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight? #1  

proudestmonkey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
I started to re-mount my 60" mmm to my BX 2230 this morning. PTO attachment was trouble, but followed advice here and cleaned out coupler and regreased. Made it easier. Went to lower rear links. No go. Tried the procedure for bleeding hydraulics (as stated in manual). No go. Checked to make sure height adjustment knob at "0" (it was). hydraulic lift speed knob wide open (and even tried lowering with that knob at several different positions. Still, hydraulic lifts in rear and at mid-mount both wouldn't budge from top position.

Came in, checked here, saw someone with same issue say he pulls down rear links by hand when attaching mower deck. Tried that. Worked. Before attaching mmm, I raised it again, worked fine, went to lower, wouldn't go. Then I slung a bucket ( with a very heavy logging chain in it) over one of the lift arms in rear, which was in nearly top position. Turned on BX, hit lower knob, rear lift arms and rear links came down quickly.

So, is this the way the rear hydraulic is supposed to work? Or is there something wrong? I mean, does there need to be weight on rear hydraulic for it to come down? Also, I noticed that, with 3-pt hitch in lowest position, if I took weight off, then I could raise lift arms by hand easily. Again, is this normal?

The reason I just noticed this now is that I remembered that the first and second times I mounted the mmm, I had a ballast box attached to the rear lift arms (using it for tool box), so the weight would have brought the rear links down. This time, I had nothing attached to the rear lift arms.

Any thoughts really appreciated. I need to find a good resource that tells me how this stuff works, but haven't been able to find anything other than these forums (which are a great resource).

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight? #2  
Yes, you need weight on the 3pt. in order for it to lower. Being able to raise the 3pt. by hand is normal also.

Jeff

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight? #3  
The more weight, the faster it goes which is why many come with a control vlave to allow you to adjust the speed it drops. There is no power down on the 3 pt hitch on most tractors unless you count gravity.

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight? #4  
Stand on mine when I need 'em lowered--less effort!!
Regards, Mike

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight? #5  
There is a valve under the front of your seat which controls how the drop rate of the 3ph. Open that valve and it will easily drop under the weight of the MMM.

Regards,

Russell in Texas

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight?
rdsaustintx said:
There is a valve under the front of your seat which controls how the drop rate of the 3ph. Open that valve and it will easily drop under the weight of the MMM.

Regards,

Russell in Texas

Thanks everyone for your responses. Like I said in the original post, I did have the valve (knob) open for dropping the 3-pt. But, before mounting the mmm, there was no weight on the links/hitch, so it just stayed "up." The manual simply tells you to push the height level knob forward to lower the rear link, but doesn't say anything about what to do if they don't come down. Doh! It didn't occur to me to try to pull them down until someone in another thread said that's what he has to do to get his to come down when mounting his mmm. Now that the mower is mounted, no problem, works just fine.

thanks for the confirmation that things are working the way they are supposed to. this is the first time I've used the BX since getting it back from the shop (too hot).

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight? #7  
The three tractors that I have owned (still have two) did/does not require weight for the 3pt arms to lower and they also did not lower very fast without weight. The tractor does not have to be running for them to lower either, the 3pt is all mechanically linked to hyraulic valves ( on mine they are).

I think what you have on your BX is when your 3pt is up the hydraulic fluid does not flow from the piston cylinder like most tractors do and therefore the 3pt requires a little help to lower.

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight?
wushaw said:
The three tractors that I have owned (still have two) did/does not require weight for the 3pt arms to lower and they also did not lower very fast without weight. The tractor does not have to be running for them to lower either, the 3pt is all mechanically linked to hyraulic valves ( on mine they are).

I think what you have on your BX is when your 3pt is up the hydraulic fluid does not flow from the piston cylinder like most tractors do and therefore the 3pt requires a little help to lower.

Thanks Wushaw. Hey, do you know where I can find some kind of primer on modern tractor mechanics. I'd like something specifically for the BX kind of size and vintage. I've seen books that go into detail about the antique and large farm tractors, and I know that I could get a BX service manual. But I don't need anything as specific as a service manual.

/ Should lowering 3-pt hitch require weight? #9  
proudestmonkey said:
Thanks Wushaw. Hey, do you know where I can find some kind of primer on modern tractor mechanics. I'd like something specifically for the BX kind of size and vintage. I've seen books that go into detail about the antique and large farm tractors, and I know that I could get a BX service manual. But I don't need anything as specific as a service manual.

I haven't the slightest clue.