Stuck my BX in Pond this morn

/ Stuck my BX in Pond this morn #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
Was doing some mowing close to pond edge this morning. There’s a grade there and I had just completed the dreaded weed whacking around the pond. Well dontchaknow when I weed whacked the original guide (HIGH WEEDS) I used for mowing, the guide (HIGH WEEDS) was now more in the marsh area of the pond.
Anyway, I engaged the rear diff lock in 2 wheel and everything seemed fine, except the nose was over the crest towards the pond edge, just a wee bit too much than I like. So I backed up with my foot OFF the diff lock, figuring I was out of harms way. I then started to turn away from the pond and after about 15 feet heard a very loud pop. I figured it was the rear diff, and the lock had not disengaged when I was backing up. Of course I was in the grass, but I was still concerned over this pop.
It stayed on my mind for the next 15 minutes, and there where various times I tried to lock the rear differential, but there was no wheel spin to initiate the lock. Then and ONLY then I had this bright, gleaming idea. I will slowly back into the marshy area, then verify the rear lock is either functional or non functional, and finish up mowing. Well I back down that incline I previously mentioned, got those turf tires in the quagmire, locked that rear diff, and all she did was spin both tires removing about 6 inches of sod at the same time. Meanwhile she's going down. I tried 4 wheel low with rear diff lock, but still the same...allot of spin. Problem was, well besides that...most of my weight was over the rear tires, and the front was up on the incline. After I dismounted and saw the rear hitch bottomed on the ground along with a 2 foot rut that both wheels where in. I filled the ruts partially with some additional mud, threw in a large boulder. Dropped it into high range 4 wheel with diff lock engaged, and backed up just a bit closer than previously to the pond, then with a blessing and a prayer, hammered the hydrostatic pedal forward and performed the self extrication with out anymore ado. All that with the 60" MMM on too.
Afterward I made sure nobody was looking and satisfied that the rear diff worked fine. Kind of happy it did!

/ Stuck my BX in Pond this morn #2  
A much more exciting story than the time I misjudged my turn and speared the doorframe to my garage of my 2 month old house with the corner of my bucket.

The common element: Sure am glad nobody was around to witness the immense wealth of knowledge, experience, and calculation that went into doing something so silly.

/ Stuck my BX in Pond this morn #3  
That bucket sticks WAY OUT THERE. I've learned to completely curl the bucket if I'm mowing with it on.

Twice, I've gouged the shed.....................

Ron

/ Stuck my BX in Pond this morn #4  
Happened to me month or two ago. Mowing on the edge of the pond and got stock im mud. I tried all the tricks I learned with my Jeep but turf tires are far from BFG MT or even BFG AT.

I had to bring my CJ7 over, hook a line to the frame and had to switch to low 4wd to get my B1750 out. Hehe. There is still a print in the bank of the pond:D

/ Stuck my BX in Pond this morn #5  
I did it with the BX22 a couple of years ago. Stuck in deep mud in the edge of the pond (knew the mud was there, no idea how soft) and just kept sinking. I had the loader on, but not the backhoe (had boxblade on) so decided quickly to just get the 4Runner and pull it out rather than make it worse trying to get traction to get out :)
Terry

/ Stuck my BX in Pond this morn #6  
Got my BX 2230 stuck in my pond a few weeks after I bought it. Luckily, it was still early spring (in Minnesota) and didn't have mmm on yet. I used a couple of old boards (which I have since decided to keep around just for this purpose) to get unstuck.