Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #1  

dmmvem

Tractor
Kubota L4400
This is my first post after a couple of months browsing as a guest. After a good bit of research using this site as one of my resources, I purchased a Kubota L4400 with a Woods FEL and a Rollins cutter. I was impressed with the power and economy of the L4400 and felt that this "basic" gear drive tractor would be perfect for my needs. I also liked the "feel" of the ride as well as the tight turning radius. I have a 52 acre property in E TN with beautiful but hilly/rolling terrain. I needed a tractor with the power to handle a 72" cutter on this less than flat farm with 30 acres of chest high grass and weeds as well as thinning out and cleaning up 22 acres of woods. It was extremely satisfying to power my way through the overgrown fields with ease no matter how steep the hill. The FEL loader should come in handy as I have numerous projects I will be attemting over the coming years such as expanding the size of two ponds, clearing some trees, and digging out some stumps.

I am pleased and happy with my choice of the L4400. I have experienced zero mechanical problems and would recommend it to others needing a reliable, high quality, powerful, cost effective tractor.

Note: I decided at the last moment to add a canopy - the thought crossed my mind continually as I worked comfortably in the summer heat and occasional drizzle that this was the best money I ever spent. I would recommend this option for others who don't need or can't afford a full blown cab.

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)
Congrats on the new tractor. :cool: Several TBN'ers have the L4400 and are very happy with them.

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #3  
Thanks for sharing your first impressions. As a person looking to make the plunge sometime next year, it is quite pleasing to read a positive account.

Enjoy!!!

Sincerely,
The Gardener

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #4  
Congrats on the new tractor. The L4400 is a powerful, economical choice. All you need to do now is post some pictures!

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #5  
WELCOME AND CONGRATS.kUBOTAS ARE AWESOME.Wise choice with the canopy,i went the first year without mine,bad sunburn and wet clothes.
ALAN

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #6  
Welcome and Congrats on the Kubota!!

A smooth tractor and a 6' cutter makes for enjoyable seat time!! I just recently purchased the 5030 with a 6' Woods cutter and understand how nice it is :)

Terry

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #7  
Congratulations.
I've been very happy with my L4400. I have 200 hours on it.
I have a mixture of open fields, heavy woods, steep slopes (pond dam), and swamps. I mostly use it to mow, (including some of the swampy areas), and move dirt. I also dig out stumps and drag downed trees (especially after Katrina). So far, it has functioned flawlessly.
A couple of observations...
Sharp turns while in 4WD will cause lots of front-to-back rocking, especially if the FEL is raised even halfway up.
Watch out for power pole guy wires with the canopy. Just because the wheels clear, doesn't mean the edge of the canopy will. Don't ask me how I know! ;)

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #8  
Welcome aboard, sounds like you did your homework. I think after reviewing the various choices out there, you like many have come to Kubota. Its not that all people have problems with their Kubota, its just when we do we come here to find the answer. Therefore you rarely here all the good stories that add up to all those hours on the meter. Additonally with the amout of power in the drivetrain and hydrolics, Kubota users occasionally bite off more than what was intended for the use. Or as in the case of the BX24, which I think was hard to improve upon the BX23, your gonna have issues with new model years, particularly in a day and age of coporate greed. which ussually involves cutting costs, and IMHO means loosing quality. This is evident in the plastic fender issue. I think when you have proven something over time, listen to the end user (us) if you want to further refine the item. Such as the airfilter bracket.
Anyway I think you made a good choice and an implement that will provide you many years of trouble free use!

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier
Thanks for the warm welcome and congratulations. I did not grow up around tractors nor have I owned one before so I did not have many preconceived notions regarding the brand, size, features, etc that would fit my situation. My decision to buy a tractor and begin the research was prompted by the purchase of our farm. Initially, I looked at all the major brands carried by the dealers within 30 miles of my farm - John Deere, New Holland, Kubota, MF, Mahindra. In E TN, John Deere, Kubota, and MF are market leaders. I also looked at Mahindra. Kubota quickly rose to the top of my list because of the quality of the engineering, pricing, reputation, dealer service. I also noted that it was gaining market share on all the other major brands in our market - apparently I was not the only one reaching this conclusion.

The L4400 made sense for me because it had the horse power to handle a 72" cutter on hilly terrain with power to spare (better too much than not enough). I also plan on taking out some trees, maintaining the wooded areas, installing pasture fencing, create gravel drive, etc. I wanted to stay under $20k. In short, the need for power at a reasonable price (without sacrificing quality) made the Kubota L4400 a compelling choice.

/ Made the Plunge and Could'nt Be Happier #10  
Welcome aboard Dmmvem.
I've been working a Kubota in these same E TN hills for a couple yrs now with no problems at all, the Orange color fits in quite well D:

Was it Tyler Bro's or E TN Eqt ? I've dealt with both, good dealers.

Volfandt