L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems?

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems? #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
Is anyone having issues with there PTO on these models? I read several posts from last year where guys were having trouble with there PTO, especially with running a tiller. I was leaning towards a 2800 HST, but after reading some of these posts, I'm getting scared. I will be tilling several gardens and mowing mostly. Will the PTO hold up for tilling?

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems? #2  
I've only used my PTO to run a 5' BH, but have had no problems at all with my L2800 HST. The BushHog has done some pretty heavy duty / rough work (lots of 1 - 2" trees).

/Todd

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems? #3  
I've have a L2800 and a 5' brushog also. I've had no problems, but I did see the posts about the tiller and wondered if that creates more of a load than the brushhog.

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems? #4  
I have a new 3400 and am planning on buying a tiller but this is the first I have heard of potential problems with the PTO. Can someone that knows the thread, repost it? I did a serch but didn't come up with anything.

cheers,
bigballer

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems?
Search for a thread titled "L2800 PTO and Service Problem."

There are a few other threads that discuss this as well.

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems? #6  
I remeber two posts. One guy had tangled with barb wire. The PTO has an over run clutch but not a slip clutch. A tiller can be hard on any PTO if you hit something with no properly adjusted slip clutch. Tilling real hard ground it tough too.

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems? #7  
well now i know what the chattering is when disengaging the pto with my bushhog. i think using the method ccsial uses may helps this - engage pto when rpms are low using clutch, bring up to speed and go. to disengage, slow the rpms and disengage without using the clutch. ccsial, any updates on this method? how did the snowblower work last winter, any pto issues with it?

cheers,
bigballer

/ L2800 and L3400 HST PTO problems? #8  
BigBaller,

With the Woods RD7200 a few times the PTO did not disengage without the clutch. The clucth has a rake angle and the RFM has enough load when idling to hold it in on now and then. What I have been doing is slowing down the engine, pressing the clutch in and disengaging at the same time. I just here a few clicks of the clutch that way and it always disengages.

I'm just over 100 hours and no PTO issues. I have used the snow blower, bush hog, or RFM. I used the tiller for about an hour. The tiller work usually goes to the 1910 but I had to try it with the L3400. I've been very happy with the L3400HST.