BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire #1  

joe_tiac

My starter refused to work. All electrical idiot lights + fuel pump seemed to work all right.

I finallly discovered that a "white wire with black stripe" runing from the switch to the starter/solenoid had a discontinuity. If I bypass that wire, everything seems to be fine.

Question - is that wire a fusable link - or can I just splice in an ordinary wire? Or, if it's a fusable wire, can I just splice in a fuse along with the wire? I haven't tested the plug on the wire to the solenoid yet, but will before replacing wire.

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire #2  
On the BX23, the starter solenoid circuit goes through 3 different safety switches that must be "closed" before current will pass from the key switch to the starter soleoid. The PTO safety switch (must be off), the Hi/Lo gear select switch (must be in neutral) and the HST pedal neutral switch (pedal should be depressed and in it's nuetral position). If any of these switches don't "make" then no startee :D
There is also a 30amp slow blow fuse for the key switch but if it was blown you wouldn't have any voltage for lights or any other key switched circuits.
I don't know if the BX2200 has all or some of these safety switches but if it does that's where I'd look 1st before I bypassed anything.
Good Luck
Volfandt

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire
Thanks for the info. The manual only mentions the PTO and HI-LO gear must be in the off or neutral positions. I can't find any mention of an HST pedal. This thing from left to right has differential lock pedal, parking brake lock, brake, and speed control pedals.

Maybe there's an interlock on the speed control pedal. I'll look for it. However, it seems that the wire, white with black stripe goes into the bundle and comes out the other end to the starter switch. And, there's no continuity. If it must go through the interlock it happens inside the bundle.

BTW the starting instructions do say the parking brake must be set, but I never have before.

joe

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire #4  
2200 just started clicking when I turn the key. Do it a few times and it starts. Probably a loose connection, you think?

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire
I don't even have a click - 'acts like the interlock (shift or pto - in wrong position).

I did have a problem similar to yours prior to battery going dead.

Off Topic - my original home was Smackover, Ark. - close to you?

joe

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire #6  
It's possible the BX2200 doesn't have the safety switch on the HST pedal. It was probably added on the BX2230/BX23's.

I was looking at the WSM for the BX23 and it shows that the start wire (BW) leaves the key switch, goes through the PTO switch then the gear select switch through the HST neutral switch then to the starter solenoid terminal.

The safety switches are normally open switches which mean their contacts close and pass current when their respected plungers are depressed.
You can test them with an ohm/continuity tester. Disconnect the wireing connector from them and then read for continuity when the plunger is depressed.

The clicking sound sounds like either a weak battery or loose connection. If the battery is fully charged and all connections are clean and tight then the contacts in the starter solenoid could be worn/corroded and needs replaced. A weak battery is the most probable.

Good luck
Volfandt

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire #7  
My BX23 has no lights when key is turned for start----new starter installed, new battery(voltage good)---plan to replace all safety switches. What does the switch with the white plastic arm under the seat do?
Thanks
Will

/ BX2200 - starter/solenoid wire #8  
My bx25d can be started without being in neutral. As for the HST petal I never tried starting it while pressing the petal.