BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze?

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #1  

Tang

Tractor
Kubota L2650
Hello All,

I purchased a BX 24 at the beginning of June and I just completed my 50 hour service last weekend. Before I discuss the details of my problem I've got to say the hours have flown by quickly. I use it a lot. Loader, backhoe, finish mower, rotary mower, trailer loaded with brush/firewood, and whatever else I can throw at it. I really like it and haven't had any other problems.

A few weeks prior to the 50 hr service I noticed a small area on my radiator pre-filter (metal screen) that appeared to have a white stained/corroded area, about 2-3" in diameter.

At the time I didn't look further, but during the 50 hour service I removed the battery to inspect further. It looks like the bottom of the battery tray has a similar substance. My first thought was my battery is leaking but I didn't see any signs on my battery to support that is was leaking.

I still believe it to be caused by battery acid but wonder if antifreeze could cause a similar reaction with the metal? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #2  
I've never seen anti-freeze leave a white residue. Generally, its just a dark crusty residue. White, and under your battery can be little other than battery acid. You can mix a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a cup of water, and pour this slowly on the white area. If it bubbles aggressively, and the baking soda gets rid of it, you can be pretty sure that you have a battery acid problem. If your battery is not the sealed type, take the top caps off, and see if the reservoirs have been filled too full, and might be overflowing during bouncing around, etc. If the level of electrolyte seems correct, you probably have a small crack or pinhole leak in the battery.

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #3  
If you find that it is the battery there are several makers of battery cleaner. I like the perm-a-tex brand.

These work very well and have a lasting effect if preped correctly.

You should get this off the metal, even if dry the acid salts are still on the metal and any moisture will reactivate the acid.

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #4  
Pour some Coke (Coca Cola) over it. it'll disolve all the acd residue up and you can wipe it away.

Volfandt

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #5  
The battery might have had some acid spilled across the top when it was first filled and installed. If they didn't clean it off, then that will cause the problem. I suggest that you remove the battery and throughly clean the tray and give it a good coat of acid resistant paint. Then wash the battery with baking soda to neutralize the acid. Rinse well and then dry all 6 sides. Re-install and connect the battery cables. Spray the battery cables with a protective coating that is made specifically for this purpose and you should have no more problems. If you don't throughly clean the metal that is effected, the acid will continue to eat away at the metal until there is no metal left. Do this yourself, because the dealer will probably just do a quickly job that will not offer remediation of the problem.

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #6  
Clean throughly with baking soda and water. Rinse well. Prime and paint. If this is on the radiator screen then, bad news, there is probably some on the radiator also. This will also need to be cleaned and painted.

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #7  
I have a transmission leak on my bx 24. Has anyone else had a problem from their hydrostatic transmission? It only has ten hours on it

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #8  
weswr said:
I have a transmission leak on my bx 24. Has anyone else had a problem from their hydrostatic transmission? It only has ten hours on it

Where is the leak? How are you sure it is the transmission and not a hydraulic quick connect?

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze? #9  
I looked at all of the rear quick connects and rubbed them with my hand and a rag. No fluid, a visual inspection at the rear near the sight of the leak looked to be coming from the diverter valve on the trans. Turned out after the dealer looke at it a flexible hose under the diverter valve had a small pin hole leak. Thanks all

/ BX 24 Battery Leak or Antifreeze?
Thanks for the input everyone, here is what I found.

I pulled the battery and it showed signs of leaking down one side. I called my dealer and they swapped my battery for a new one. Hopefully this issue is a one time problem and not recurring.

I used the baking soda/water solution to clean the battery tray and radiator pre-filter metal screen. I did not paint the surfaces as the paint on the pre-filter metal screen did not show any signs of damage. The battery tray on the BX24 appears to be a non-painted cast aluminum or pot metal (not really sure) material. I'll keep my eye on it and take further action if necessary.

Again thanks for the suggestions.