Over loaded Kubota?

/ Over loaded Kubota? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Just this weekend, I put the 60" cut finish mower on the back of my newly purchased (early 80's) B7100 that came with the tractor. I was trying it out for the first time but noticed that the front end is pretty light going up small inclines with the mower raised. We are talking front tires almost a foot of the ground here. Is this deck too heavy for this tractor or can I simply add some weight to the front and continue using it. If so, anybody got a good guess on how much weight to add up front? Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

/ Over loaded Kubota? #2  
Brian, when I had a B7100, I didn't use it for finish mowing, I had another lawnmower, but I seriously considered buying a 60" rear finish mower and the salesman at the dealership said I should't go over 48". He said the B7100 had enough PTO power to pull the 60", but it was too heavy. However, he said he did have some customers using the 60" that were satisfied with them. I guess he basically told me what you said happened to you. I don't recall what the lift capacity is on the 3-point, so if I were you, I'd check it's rated lift capacity and the weight of the mower you're using. If its weight is within the tractor's lift capacity, so you don't have to worry about damaging the 3-point hydraulics, then all you need to do is add weight to the front of the tractor. However, if the mower weighs more than the 3-point lift capacity, I'd seriously consider a lighter mower. Just my opinion.

Bird

/ Over loaded Kubota? #3  
Brian: I have a 1980 B7100. Mine came with a 48" Kubota deck, and I was told that the weight of most 60" decks was too much for the 3 pt. hitch. You say your 60" deck came with your tractor. Did the previous owner give you any indication of his experiences mowing with the 60" deck? If it has been used for 15-20 years with no evidence of damage to the tractor or 3 pt. hitch, then I would guess that front ballast would do the trick.
Chris in SW Va.

/ Over loaded Kubota?
I am not sure what the 3-point is rated for. I didn't get any tractor info with the tractor. The guy I bought it from only used it on flat ground I believe. He owned a trailer park and bought it just to mow at this location. I don't see any sort of damage anywhere that is visible to the eye. My next question was gonna be if anyone had ever made themself a small hitch on the back of their deck to pull along a small garden cart instead of removing the deck all of the time just to move a few stones back and forth but I guess this is probably out of the question in this particular case. Agree??? Thanks you for your time once again. You guys are the best!!

/ Over loaded Kubota? #5  
Brian,

I have a early 80s B7100 and use a woods 60" finishing rear mower with no problem. I use it on slopes as well but you have to be careful when turning down a slope because it will tend to pull the backend of the tractor around a little.

What I do have is 165 pounds of weight on the front of the tractor which makes a huge difference. The max 3pt lift on the B7100 is 400lbs. I have the original owners manual so if you need any more specs you can email me at joshgerni@hotmail.com.

Josh

Central, VA

/ Over loaded Kubota? #6  
Josh: I have an owner's manual, too, but I couldn't find where it had the 3 pt. hitch capacity listed. Can you tell me what page? I also have the parts manual if you or Brian need anything. I can copy and mail pages or scan and e-mail from work.
Thanks, Chris

/ Over loaded Kubota? #7  
Josh,
If you are right on the 3 pt. capacity of 400 lbs. then you both are probably going over capacity. I own a Woods RD6000, rear discharge 60", 3 pt. finish mower and it weighs about 600 lbs. I looked in a brochure that I still have and the RM360 60", the one with the tall beige "box" over the top of the mower weighs in at 530 lbs. and the lower profile RM550 60" side discharge weighs about 500 lbs. I pull mine with a New Holland TC18 with a 3 pt. lift capacity of 1265 lbs., I do have 190 lbs. of weight on the front or I too would have the front end off the ground. I know that your Kubota's have a great reputation, but IF your decks weigh as much as those that I quoted you're living life on the wild side! Good Luck, JimBinMI

/ Over loaded Kubota? #8  
Hello Brain.
I also have a B7100 and was considering of buying a 60" rear mower,but my dealer said a 48" is what the tractor would perform better so thats what I bought.
With 48" I can get into tighter places also great on slopes.
Have you consider of putting afront end loader on?
With my front end loader ther just enough wieght to balance the rear mower,and if I'm mowing steep slopes I put about a 1/3 if a bucket of dirt for balance,and if there are rock to be pick up I just throw them in the bucket,also better than hauling a cart around.
Be careful and good luck.

/ Over loaded Kubota? #9  
JimB: I have a 20 year old 48" Kubota rear finish mower (K-348-7). I'm a poor judge of weights, and the manual doesn't list the weight, but I am able to pick up one end of the thing (with some effort) to stand it up on its' end in order to clean the grass out from under it. I would guess that this one only weighs a couple hundred pounds at the most. It's not flimsy by any means, and has stood up to 20 years of use, so I don't think it's cheaply made.
Chris in SW Va