Approaching 800 hours

/ Approaching 800 hours #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
My BX-22 has just under 800 hours on it. I got it April '03.

I'm getting ready to send it off to the dealer for some work. Mainly, the rubber boots on the front axle are shredded, & have been for some time. I thought I would get the dealer to do some other chores while they have it. I have tried to keep up with the maintenance listed in the owners manual, with heavy emphasis on 'tried'. Oil & filter changes every 100 hours, clean air filter, etc. I got around to changing the transmission fluid & front axle oil at 600 hours. Some things I skipped/ignored, like adjusting the toe-in, adjusting front axle pivot, & replacing fuel filter [& probably others]. At 800 hours the manual also recommends having the dealer adjust the engine valve clearance.
Any opinions out there on what is really necessary?
Thanx for the advice.

Jack

/ Approaching 800 hours #2  
I'm sure I'll get ripped for saying this, and I am not suggesting you do this, but good tractors don't need to have all the maintenance done.

We have a 35 year old Ford 5000 on our farm that has 9700 hours on it that gets a thorough workout every week and barely gets any maintenance at all. We change the oil and filter once a year. Put new brakes in a few years ago. Thats about it. When I first starting using this tractor about 12 years ago I could hardly believe it ran, from the looks of it. It runs great, sounds beautiful.

/ Approaching 800 hours #3  
One thing to keep in mind is that the BX accumulates real time hours, while slightly larger Kubota CUTs count tach hours.

I can't believe how fast my BX2200 counts hours as compared to my B2910, which I rarely run at full 540 PTO RPM, since I don't mow with it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that 800 hours on my B2810 would equate to about 1100 hours OF SEAT TIME on the BX. But both manuals say do the valve clearance adjustment at 800 hours.

The message I get is...well...no need to hurry with the BX, it counts faster than the other tractor. What is good for one should be good for the other...

Granted, if you run the BX at max RPM all the time, sooner is better than later...but you still should have some cushion to play with.

/ Approaching 800 hours
Thanks for the replies. My gut feeling was to have done only what really needs it, & I can't do, like replace the rubber boots on the front axle.

Pardon my ignorance here, but how does a tach hour meter work - - is it equivalent of hours at 540? Many of my hours are idling & seldom at full rpm.

Thanks again,

Jack