What Size Plow for L2800?

/ What Size Plow for L2800? #1  

pax_tractor

Tractor
2010 Kubota M6040, '06 Kubota L2800 HST and 1948 Allis Chalmers G
I'm a new hobby farmer and very inexprienced but learning quickly!
How big of a plow will my L2800 pull? I'd like to plant a cover crop in my 2ac field this spring. The field was used years ago for tobacco but has been a wonderful weed garden ever since. Soil is heavy silt/clay. I'm guessing the tractor does not have enough power to pull a two bottom.
Please help.

thanks!

/ What Size Plow for L2800? #2  
It depends on soil conditions, furrow size of the plow, how deep you are going to plow and how fast you want to get the job done. I live in central ohio ( about 12 inches of topsoil and clay after that ) and the "general" rule is 15HP per bottom. You probably would have a hard time keeping your front end in the ground with a two bottom plow due to the back end weight. You could use front end weights to weigh you front end down though.

Too give you a good perspective, I have a 53HP 6000lb 2WD tractor and it can pull a 3 x 14 plow pretty easy. It is considered a 4 bottom plow tractor but in my area you would end up plowing ( lugging the tractor maybe ) so slow that a 3 bottom is a much better choice. As a alernative you might wanna look into renting / buying a harley rake or 3 point rototiller.

If you would like more info go to ytmag.com and do a search in implement alley for "plow" or ask a farmer in your area what size plow he pulls with what size tractor and that should give you a good idea.

Scott

/ What Size Plow for L2800? #3  
Last year I bought a 2 bottom plow that I use with my L2800. My soil is mostly sandy, but there's some clay, too. Sometimes if I set the plow too deep the tractor will not pull it, but I just raise it a touch and keep going. If you're worried about pullling a 2 bottom, you can always take off one of the bottoms.
Do you really need to plow? Maybe just a light disking would work as well. Break up the ground, seed, and smooth it out. Just a thought..........

/ What Size Plow for L2800? #4  
If it is a weedy or grassy area that you want to plant you will need to plow to turn the weeds under. That will give the new crop a chance to get started before the weeds come back. Otherwise, you could spray it with Roundup, wait 14 days, spray it again, wait another 10 to 14 days and then try to break it up with a disk and then plant.

I can pull a 2X14 plow with my B3030 in sandy soil. You might be able to pull 2 bottoms in your soil but, if you can find a 1 bottom plow you will be better off, IMHO. I would rather have a 1 bottom myself but since I could not find one used I bought a used 2 bottom. It is better to plow a little faster, it breaks up the soil more. Good luck.

/ What Size Plow for L2800? #5  
Toolguy said:
...I can pull a 2X14 plow with my B3030 in sandy soil. You might be able to pull 2 bottoms in your soil but, if you can find a 1 bottom plow you will be better off, IMHO. I would rather have a 1 bottom myself but since I could not find one used I bought a used 2 bottom. It is better to plow a little faster, it breaks up the soil more. Good luck.

Toolguy,

When you're pulling your plow, is it neccessary for you to have the FEL mounted to keep your front end down? I have the chance to buy a used one bottom, but I was worried that the B7800 would be too light to pull it through our Georgia clay. How deep are you able to cut?

/ What Size Plow for L2800? #6  
I have always had the FEL on when using the plow. The extra weight gives the front wheels more traction. I pull it in Low range at full HST pedal and at least 2000 rpms. I plow about 7 inches deep. It pulls it without much effort in my sandy soil but I doubt if I could use it in clay. A 2X12 plow would be my first choice with a 1X14 second. I couldn't find either of those so I took a chance and bought the 2X14. So far so good.

My first job with it was redoing my formerly wooded back yard into grass.

Attachments

• P1010009a (Small).JPG
    P1010009a (Small).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 180
  • P1010026 (Small).JPG
    P1010026 (Small).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 155