Oil & Fuel gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
HI
Last sunday when i was rushing around trying to move a little dirt while we were pouring our garage aprons ,i ran out of fuel with my 23...again.The gage read a little above empty,it was flat ground only had one little job....darn it.I heard her start to quiver, so i shut it right down.I figured id be ok,since the last time i ran it out til it quit,and it started right back up with no problems or air.So i filled her up ,it started,and ran like crap,when i needed power,it would die right down,and wouldnt come out of it.Well i left it,went to the local building supply for materials.About an hour later,i started it upto go to my neighbors for help[hes a diesal mechanic] and it seemed to come out of it.Now 2 hours later on the meter,once in a great while ,when i call on the power she will still hog up a little.My neighbor said after 320 hours i ought to be changin the fuel filters,and in the process ill bleed the air out.
5 minutes to fuel up,and im always tryin to push the envelope!When will i learn?I seem to do the same thing with my autos...yes i have walked before.Anyone else got this bad habit?Hey how many fuel filters on this rig anyway..3?
ALAN

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #2  
escavader said:
Anyone else got this bad habit?
Alan,

Sounds like air in the line…. You may need to bleed them. I used to do the same thing with my B6000, but I would always make sure I was at the FAR end of the back field before I would run it dry!

Good luck,

Gary

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #3  
The manual describes the method to use for bleeding the air out of the fuel lines after running out of fuel or a filter change. It's a pretty involved process and should only be attempted by trained professionals. I will attempt to desribe it here. I hope I don't leave anything out, ready, here goes.
Step one: turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump running leave it on for a while.

Step two: turn off key or start the tractor if you have some tractoring to do.

Wheew! That's it. Did everyone make it through it okay?

Seriously I suspect that you sucked up some trash/water into the filters and this has caused your problem. I always had to change the fuel filter when I ran really low (out:eek:)on fuel in the big truck.
I know how it is, you just wanna get one more thing done before you take the time to fill up.

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #4  
Berniep could you go through that again :D :D

I'd suspect the fuel filters are clogged also.
Theres two, one under the tractor next to teh HST and the other in the engine compartment just before the fuel injector pump. They are the same filter. Change them with the fuel low as theres no cutoff to stop the flow.... Some folks have posted about useing a clamp to squeeze the rubber fuel line enough to stem the tide :D

The fuel filter looking device with the wires going to it is your fuel pump so be careful :D

Voflandt

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #5  
Alan,

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn on the key? I had the same problem, changed the filters, till no power! :( Looked around and found a boot on the fan shaft came off and took out the wires to the fuel pump. New wires, problem solved.:)

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again
NY_Yankees_Fan said:
Alan,

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn on the key? I had the same problem, changed the filters, till no power! :( Looked around and found a boot on the fan shaft came off and took out the wires to the fuel pump. New wires, problem solved.:)
HI
IT does run,its just every now and then when im calling on it,it hogs up like i got some air.I have put a couple hours on the 23 since i ran out.I gotta get some new filters i guess.Thanks for the info guys.HAS ANY OF YOURS RAN OUT BETWEEN QUARTER AND EMPTY?

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #7  
I have harped to my wife over and over again not to do this. She doesn't know why but listens to me anyway. Sure sounds like an air bubble.

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #8  
Keep the five gallon diesel can handy, I think I have yet to let mine get below 1/4 tank.

One day you will be in the middle of a project when you really need the tractor and run out of fuel then what?

steve

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #9  
After reading this thread, I have to wonder…. Am I the only one here that cleans there tanks out every year? My B6000 was a pain to purge the air out of, but I never had a problem with trash in the line. As part of my yearly routine I would drain the fuel tank then flush it out with brake parts cleaner. Refill the tank using a funnel with a good screen and I was good to go for another year. I have done this with my L3710 from day one. Hopefully I will not run it dry to test my theory!

I do the same for my gas powered engines also. I have yet to have a problem with “trash” in the line.

Give it a try, it takes no time at all!!!!

Gary

/ gosh..darn .. ran out of fuel again #10  
GaryE said:
After reading this thread, I have to wonder…. Am I the only one here that cleans there tanks out every year? My B6000 was a pain to purge the air out of, but I never had a problem with trash in the line. As part of my yearly routine I would drain the fuel tank then flush it out with brake parts cleaner. Refill the tank using a funnel with a good screen and I was good to go for another year. I have done this with my L3710 from day one. Hopefully I will not run it dry to test my theory!

I do the same for my gas powered engines also. I have yet to have a problem with “trash” in the line.

Give it a try, it takes no time at all!!!!

Gary

Have you ever not cleaned out your tank? What happens? My TN70A is very easy to do, but in 4 years it probably has never been drained (I bought it used a few months ago and I assume it was never done).
Bob