Box Scraper & Mulch Blades

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #1  

hagman

Silver Member
Tractor
B7610 Kubota
I recently purchased a used 5' box scraper to use with my B7610. I was getting ready to hitch it up and play with it and noticed on the Kubota web site that the largest size they offer is 54". Is it possible that the 7610 won't pull the additional 6" of weight?

On another subject I have been really disappointed with the mower deck on the Kubota versus my former X585 J.D. I know I'm comparing a mulch deck (J.D.) versus a side discharge on the Kubota but it seems like the 7610 doesn't cut half as well. Has anyone used any of the Gator Mulch blades and if so what were the results? I have found this forum helps me more with tractor info than anywhere else. Thanks to all who reply.

Hagman

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #2  
You should be fine with the weight and width, you might not be able to pull a full load or be as aggressive with that box blade. Learning to get the box blade to do what I wanted, took me a while. Sorry, I don't know anything about the mower or blades.

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #3  
hagman said:
I recently purchased a used 5' box scraper to use with my B7610. I was getting ready to hitch it up and play with it and noticed on the Kubota web site that the largest size they offer is 54". Is it possible that the 7610 won't pull the additional 6" of weight?
It is quite possible, that depending on your soil conditions you can easily pull a 5' box blade, it is also quite possible that a 4' box blade will stop that tractor dead in its tracks. I use a couple different tractors on multiple pieces of property and find that the soil conditions dictate what the tractor can and cannot do. On heavy clay a 5' blade on a 30hp Kubuta makes the machine choke while on sandy loam the same blade pulls easily with a 24hp New Holland. The NH will stall on the heavy clay with only a 48" blade if the the moisture content is not ideal. So what I guess I am saying is that there is no easy answer to your question.

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #4  
I agree with Bob's comments. There will be times when you will be forced to take smaller bites than you would with a smaller box, other times it will pull it full. If it makes you feel any better, I have the same tractor as you do and I pull a Heavy Duty (541 lb) box blade with it. Sometimes I can pull it full, sometimes not. I do not regret the purchase.

I'm assuming your mower is mid-mount, although you don't say and you're profile isn't filled out. I've never used the mid-mount, but I'm very pleased with the cut of my LandPride rear finish mower.

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #5  
I've got the B7510 with 3hp less than yours and it pulls my 5ft box blade, with or without the rippers extended just fine.

Harris

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #6  
I've got a B2910 with R4's and I can (and often do) run out of traction pulling a full box (Woods GB60 5') - it often depends on how aggressive I have the boxblade cutting angle set, whether the rippers are down, etc.

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #7  
I have a B7610 with bar/turfs, a 60" MMM and a 5' KK box blade. To echo what others have said about the BB, it will pull a full load sometimes and sometimes I'll just spin the tires. It depends. Would I rather have a 48" or 54" BB? No. Glad I got the 5'. I work with it in those tough instances.

On the mowing. I am quite pleased with the 60" mmm. I think it mows better (or at least as good) as my old Scotts 1842. (basically a deere)

What you have to remember is that the JD X series is a great mower first, and a good tractor second. (like the 'bota BX series) The B series is a better tractor, that also happens to be a good mower.

-cheers
Wayne

/ Box Scraper & Mulch Blades #8  
I agree with what has been said but something seems a little odd. I have a 45 hp 4wd L4400 and I pull a 6' Bush Hog brand box blade with it. The BB is heavy and much more substantially built than the typical Howse and KK types. I've had no trouble at all and have done a great deal of work with it. The only thing that pulls the tractor to a stop is when I hit a big, buried stump with it and even then tractor and BB have suffered no problems.

What's odd is that I _just_ noticed in my manual that they suggest a maximum size of 5'5" for a box blade. All other implements are rated a 6' or more, including back blades. It seems the BB rating is a bit low to me and the same for the original poster. His tractor is certainly capable of using a 5 footer and mine has handled this 6 footer with ease. Wonder why Kubota does this? It can't be a HP issue so I wonder if it has to do with the 3 pt hitch. Any guesses?

Funny thing is that Bush Hog considers this box blade (model 720) a light duty box and max hp rating for 4wd is 40! I'm out of spec on both ends! The other funny thing is that other BBs that are lighter and less substantial have higher hp ratings. So far, no troubles, but one begins to wonder if these hp specs are ballpark figures at best. In this case neither the specs on the tractor or the BB make sense.