Power Steering Hose Failures another question.

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #1  

SailTrac

On the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of Lake
Tractor
BX2200
My first power steering hose failure was @ 160 hours, hoses were replaced free of charge by my dealer under warranty. My second power steering hose failure was @ 224 hours. So I did a search on this site and found several people all having the same problem. So rather then call or drive 30 miles to the dealer, I decided to do it myself. I just pulled both hoses off the BX2200 and noticed that along with the pin holes, the fabric cover had left its imprint in the hose cover.

So my question to all of you is, does the BX series need the power steering hoses to be in the fabric tube? Is that how it is in all the other models?

I think the rubbing occurs because the front axle can flex in middle, but wouldn't that be true of other models.

Rather then wait for Kubota to come out with a fix, how about we solve the problem?

Unless I hear a good argument to put the hoes back in the fabric tube I might not.

Thanks for listening.

Mike

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #2  
Well, after reading the various posts about the power steering hoses needing replaced, I have a question to add that I don't recall being directly addressed. Since Kubota does recommend replacement fairly often, and many people seem to have the hoses fail early, is Kobota using a very marginal hyd. hose for the heat and pressure involved? The hoses on my BX2230 do not seem very substantial, they seem more like a real cheap hose not designed to last very long, even under the best conditions. While I have seen hoses burst on other hyd. equipment, they were usually damaged, installed wrong, or very old and rotted. Should the hoses be replaced with better ones (more wire braid/higher psi rated) from a local hyd. hose shop instead factory hoses?

I would think that you should put the hoses back in the sleave they came out of. Usually, a sleve will help hoses last longer when subjected to movement/vibration against some metal part/area. This is not always the case though.

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question.
As an aside, I am not going to the dealer for Kubota OEM power steering hoses. I am getting a new pair from a local shop that all the heavy equipment operators use and recommend in this area.

So where is the wear coming from? From the two hose being run side by side in the fabric tube? I saw the one post from being next to the bolt, but that's not the case with the BX2200, at least on mine.

Maybe the hoses need to be seperated? Having to replace hoses in the span 60 hours in my second failure leads me to believe that root cause is not just bad hoses but that the hose installation itself is causing the failure. Even my financial officer said "what is wrong with your Kubota hoses"?

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #4  
After many years owning and operating equipment with hydraulic and/or compressed air systems (including backhoe, front end loader, bulldozer, boom truck, dump truck, ready-mix truck, highway tractor, etc.), I have learned that the most effective way to prevent hoses from chafing is to wrap each hose individually at possible chafe points. For smaller hoses (such as found on CUT's) I use discarded 5/8" heater hose, slit lengthwise and secured with nylon cable ties. (I never throw away used heater hose.) I don't know how the PS hoses run on the BX, but if there is room to do this it should help (if chafing is indeed the problem).

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #5  
Using heater hose is a good idea. I used that technique when installing my aux valve for the rear remotes. The supply and power beyond lines were covered with slit heater hose where they rub against the frame.

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #6  
If the old hoses have DAYCO on them, contact your dealer. New ones are not the same company.

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #7  
well well well. isnt it interesting what you pick up on the net. kubota have been very tight lipped about this issue out here. yes i suspect the hose is lower quality. they all seem to have the braid inside the hose failing. i now replace all 4 power steer hoses when the first one fails. i use a heavier hose from the local hydraulic hose manufacturer. i also put them back in the sheath, which is a battle with larger hoses i can tell you. i think it is far better to do them all at once and save the frustration and spilt transmission oil from 4 seperate hose failures. they always seem to fail just out of warranty but.

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #8  
For those that have followed similar threads, is this mostly a BX 22XX thing or have BX 22 and 23 owners had the same prob? 820+ hrs on my '23 with no failure or leakage.

/ Power Steering Hose Failures another question. #9  
350+ Hrs. on my BX23. No problems yet.

Ron