BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
The rubber boots on my front axle got pretty shredded. For whatever reeason, replacing them was a job I did not want to tackle, so I called my dealer to come get it. They picked it up August 25.
I've been calling to check on it a couple of times a week, but they tell me the parts have not come in.
Does anyone have experience ordering these items? I assume Kubota is the only source.
One of the reasons I bought a Kubota instead of one of the other less expensive brands was the availability of parts. I guess I assumed wrong about Kubota parts availability.
Whatever, I've been cutting grass right around the house with my wife's Lady Kenmore, but the pasture is overrun with grass & weeds. Sure do miss the BX!

Jack

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots #2  
Are you talking about the rubber boots on the steering? I had one of the ends go bad. The dealer had it for me in a week and I replaced it myself in about 15 minutes. I kept the boot off the old end just in case I need a replacement in the future.

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots #3  
It's not really much of a job; just don't pound the pin out with a hammer, use a jack underneath with a little upward pressure and tap the side of the tractor casting lightly with a hammer and it'll come out easily. Count the number of turns when you unscrew the tie rod end, pull off the boot there may be some spring clips holding it on, put a new one on and put it back together. The main thing is don't bugger the threads when you're trying to get the pin out.
simonmeridew

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots
Simonm - thanks. Sounnds like this is something you have done. Did you order the replacements thru Kubota? - - or are there other sources? Unfortunately, since I did not want to tackle this myself, it went to the dealer, who is telling me the parts have not come in. They tell me the order was placed 8-31.
Do you know the part # for those rubber boots? I couldn't find any reference to them in the owners manual.
thanks,

Jack

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots #5  
I have an L4400. It was 3 hours old when I was doing some brush moving in the woods and tore the LH boot. I bought a new boot at my dealer, about $10. May not be the same number part as yours, I'll look if you want a little later. Let me know. The kubota dealer can tell you the right part no. too.
simonmeridew

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots #6  
My dealer told me that the rubber boots for the steering knuckles on my BX23 were not available by themselves, and that I would have to order the complete knuckle. I've elected to let the knuckles wear out before paying that much to replace them just because of the boots.

Ron

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots #7  
638 said:
My dealer told me that the rubber boots for the steering knuckles on my BX23 were not available by themselves, and that I would have to order the complete knuckle. I've elected to let the knuckles wear out before paying that much to replace them just because of the boots.

Ron
dEALER TOLD ME THE SAME THING .A simple bike tube cut out a 4 inch section .unbolt your tie rod end slip tube on re install add two tie wraps .Mine has been on for 50 hours working it in the woods no issue.This fix is better than original takes 10 minutes per side.All the boot does is keep out the crap...make sure there aint no crap in there for you fix.
ALAN

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots
thanks, 638 & escavader.

Ouch! Sounds like I've done a stupid thing sending it to the dealer - - guess I'll call the service mgr. tomorrow & see what gives. So far, I'm only talking to the front desk.

/ BX-22 Front Axle Rubber Boots #9  
A big 10-4 to the bicycle tube. I bet that would work, and I'll bet it's better than the original boots. If mine tears again that's what I'll use.
simonmeridew