bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
BX 23: I changed my fuel filters last week.I did the simple procedure of bleeding the air out by turning on the key for thirty seconds like the manual says.[ive since tryed this several times] .I put the filters on the same way the old ones were,but all the clamps back.The tractor started up ran fine.Iloaded it on my trailor and hauled it to camp.It started fine and i unloaded it.Saturday morning it starts fine,i take it down in the woods and start digging boulders out of my woods roads ,after about 1/2 hout it starts to sputter first a little then alot.Doing thr manuals procedure doesnt help.I call a friend who works on diesals,and he tells me to take a wrench and crack the injecter lines till all the air comes out.It works for a while ,but than starts screwing up again.,after 4 hours of operating and at least 20 times cracking open them lines i give up .This morning i start her alls fine i drive it 3 miles down the mountain and remove an atv bridge with my thumb alls fine.coming back up she dies right out several times spits flutters ...almost didnt make it.Tryed bleeding no help.let it cool off all better again til it gets warm same thing.When shes at her worst it smokes and smells like pure diesal coming through the exhaust[or this could be from all the times i bled it.]It all starts with a slight fluttering and as it gets warmer it gets worse.Temp gauge says its at normal range.IS THIS AIR? cOULD SOMETHING ELSE BE HAPPENING.THE TANK LOKS CLEAN INSIDE.i was careful to keep all clean when changing filters.Suckin air somewhere?help need your input guys.
ALAN

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #2  
This all started after the fuel filter change.
Something is wrong with the installation of the filter. I would go back there and check it very carefully.

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #3  
As stated; check out the fuel supply system starting at inlet to the injector pump and working back to the tank. Do this by opening connections and checking for fuel flow. Also consider some debri in tank blocking the outlet. Also check all valves to ensure they are open.

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life
The filters are in correctly.They are in the same way the originals were.the clamps are all on and look good.There is no fuel shutoff on this tractor.The fuel is clean and tank looks clean.
I talked to our whiz diesal mechanic at work.
some ideas.
WITH all the bleeding ive done it should be done by now unless its sucking air OR STARVING FOR FUEL...ELECTRICAL PROBLEM
There might be a bleeder screw on the ....cant remember i wrote it down and left it at work.
The condition i described sounds like air or starving for fuel
COULD VERY WELL BE AN UNRELATED PROBLEM...ELECTRICAL[if you guys remember i posted last year about blowing a fuse to the fuel shutoff never found the cause] solinoid might be screwing up when it gets warm
or SEAT SWITCH Screwing up told me to by pass it[temp of course]
check all wiring for good conections.
I asked if the clamps could be screwy and if i should change to the water pipe style.He said probably not but i can try it.

my neighbor who is a head of diesal mechanics at his shop wants to look at it before i haul it to the dealer.He wants to change the clamps first.Also dont forget guys i did run it out of fuel a couple weeks ago,related i dont know.
Anyone else care to give some input,and thanks so far guys,please keep them coming.cant fix it til wednesday
ALAN

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #5  
escavader said:
The filters are in correctly.They are in the same way the originals were.the clamps are all on and look good.There is no fuel shutoff on this tractor.The fuel is clean and tank looks clean.
I talked to our whiz diesal mechanic at work.
some ideas.
WITH all the bleeding ive done it should be done by now unless its sucking air OR STARVING FOR FUEL...ELECTRICAL PROBLEM
There might be a bleeder screw on the ....cant remember i wrote it down and left it at work.
The condition i described sounds like air or starving for fuel
COULD VERY WELL BE AN UNRELATED PROBLEM...ELECTRICAL[if you guys remember i posted last year about blowing a fuse to the fuel shutoff never found the cause] solinoid might be screwing up when it gets warm
or SEAT SWITCH Screwing up told me to by pass it[temp of course]
check all wiring for good conections.
I asked if the clamps could be screwy and if i should change to the water pipe style.He said probably not but i can try it.

my neighbor who is a head of diesal mechanics at his shop wants to look at it before i haul it to the dealer.He wants to change the clamps first.Also dont forget guys i did run it out of fuel a couple weeks ago,related i dont know.
Anyone else care to give some input,and thanks so far guys,please keep them coming.cant fix it til wednesday
ALAN

Sounds like you got some fuel with water in it. Does it lose power, carry on for awhile, then stop - or does it just stop. If the former I would get all the fuel out and put new, heavily treated fuel in. If this fixes it you may be able to use the old stuff by treating it.
Larry

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #6  
The neighbour sure sounds like a good source for fixing information. Sure is a lot easier to diagnos hands on.

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #7  
I haven't changed my fuel filter yet but perhaps something the guy at the Kubota parts counter told me might help. He said that when changing the fuel filter, be sure to take off the rubber inside and outside "o" rings from the old fuel filter and put it on the new filter. Just a thought. I've got a B7510 and don't know whether the filters work the same.

Harris

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #8  
Nah, BX23 is just two in-line cartridges. It sounds like you might be sucking air, but that would usually show up as a leak when the tractor is sitting. I am careful not to pinch the line too much and I do NOT trust those little circlip type clamps...

Mine just sputters a minute after changing fuel filters, then goes back to normal.

Let us know when you figure it out!

Russell in Texas

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life
Ifound something.On the side where the oil filter there was a wire off something that looked like a temperature sensor.I plugged it back in,but i had no time to test it.I unloaded it from the trailor and put it in the garage.I will have to work it tommorow night and see if that was it.The temp gage was working so it cant go to that.SO WHAT IS THIS THING AND WHAT DOES IT DO? I must have knocked it off changing the oil.ALAN

/ bota spits and sputters,dies out then comes back to life #10  
Sounds like an oil pressure switch. Could be the prollem.