50 hour service on the L2800 HST

/ 50 hour service on the L2800 HST #1  

Marcussen

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L2800 HST
Just completed my 50 Hours change of fluid on my L2800 HST (4 Wheel drive)
Here is a brief description of the change.

Front end requires 4.8 qts UDT, super UDT, or 80W90 gear oil. The dealer recommended Kubota 80W90 oil so that’s what I used. There are 3 @ 14MM plugs and one @ 1-1/16" plug.
Draining fluid was a very slow process, Recommend starting the drain Process evening before. Use a piece of cardboard to keep oil of tires and going into catch pan. Drain both sides at the same time.
Be equally patient putting the new gear oil in. (dealer said put 2-3 quarts in then wait one hour to let the oil work it's way down into the bearings, then complete the fill. I got a little over 4.5 qts. in before it over-flowed,

Kubota recommends 10W-30 oil (6 Qts.) in the engine, the dealer said they always use 15W-40, I went with 10W-30 (Mystik synthetic blend) The 2 oil drains are both 19 MM. Easy change for both oil and filter. No need for
funnels. (use the oil fill in the area right above the filter not the one on the valve cover) I only got 5 qts in and it's full.

Transmission requires 6.8 gls UDT or super UDT and has two filters (I used Super UDT). There are 4 drain plugs 2 @ 14MM, 2 @ 25MM. I recommend changing filters first. The HST filter can be tough one, but I had no
problems with it. You get about 4-5 gallons of fluid when you loosen the hydraulic filter, but if you don't take the filter all the way off you can hand tighten it back and change container if needed.
I used a funnel to get the 5 gallon bucket into the tractor.(My funnel was short so I removed the orange bracket that holds the slow moving vehicle sign for better access, 4 screws). 6 gallons and it's full.

After changing fluids and filters I drove the tractor around forward, reverse, raised and lowered the 3 point, I then brought it back to the garage to lube the various different lube points and checked for leaks.

I also checked the starter safety locks, clutch and brake adjustments, but no adjustments was needed.

I don't understand the maintenance schedule, it says to replace the HST and hydraulic filter every 200 hours and trans/hydraulic fluid at 400 hours. If I remove the hydraulic filter I will loose a lot of fluid:confused:

/ 50 hour service on the L2800 HST #2  
Did you notice any difference with the Super UDT as far as transmission whine? I'm going to try the SUDT when my 50 hr service comes up. All in all, how much did the fluids and filters for the 50 hr change run you? I've still got 37 hrs to go. With winter coming, I probably won't get to the 50 hr mark till next June.

/ 50 hour service on the L2800 HST
I have had the tractor for 3 months, it had 48.5 hours on it. I just changed everything yesterday, I have not driven it enough to tell any difference. By the looks of the fluid it had UDT in it from the factory, my dealer also said it had 15W-40 in it from the factory, it sure looked like gear oil coming out of the front end.

I bought all my stuff except engine oil at the dealer and it cost $184. (Engine oil added about $12.00) I bought 7 gallons SUDT but it only held 6 and that was a little more than needed, I have just a tiny airbuble in the top corner of the sight glass. The extra gallon of SUDT was $16.75 and not needed. I will buy 6 gallons next time.

/ 50 hour service on the L2800 HST #4  
Marcussen said:
I don't understand the maintenance schedule, it says to replace the HST and hydraulic filter every 200 hours and trans/hydraulic fluid at 400 hours. If I remove the hydraulic filter I will loose a lot of fluid:confused:

Park your tractor on a steep incline with the filter facing uphill.