L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #1  

pharmer-phil

Tractor
NH TN65 & Kubota L3830
Hello, fellow Kubota owners. I traded my little Kubota garden tractor a few months ago for the L3830 with HST. This is a second tractor for us as my wife is usually out there helping me shred, etc., (I married a winner).

I "test drove" the tractor around the dealership's lot and everything seemed fine. In the pasture, however, things changed.

(This is a little difficult to describe in words, so bear with me.) Before we figured out the problem, when using the HST pedal, the tractor would begin surging forward. The more it surged, the worse it got. It was like riding a bucking bronc or pretty close to it.

I contacted the dealer and he came out and tried it but didn't seem to do it for him, but it did it when I drove it and did it for my wife and my brother.

We figured it out finally. It seems that the roughness of pasture bounces the frame of the tractor and also the foot that sits on the pedal. The bouncing motion is transferred to the HST foot pedal. The motion then creates a surge in the forward progress of the tractor and the more it surges, the more the tractor surges until you can't stand it anymore and you have to take your foot off the pedal and start over. Whew!

Ok, I know the tractor has a cruise control, and this problem does not occur on cruise, or if the HST pedal is "pegged" on the stop-bolt on the floorboard, so this helps prove the 'transfer of motion' that I described, above, as the most likely culprit.

Yes, I can use the cruise control, but there are times it is not practical to do so, such as mowing small or tight areas. Switching back and forth from pedal to cruise is somewhat cumbersome in some situations. Mowing long rows is not a problem, of course, to switch to cruise.

In my opinion, there is a problem with the HST "feather-touch" on the L3830 which makes the HST foot pedal practically unusable.

I drove the L4330 around the dealership's lot, and purposely into some very rough areas off the pavement, last Friday afternoon, and the 4330 didn't seem to have the problem.

I'm a little put out at Kubota because they are not really acknowledging the problem and my requests for help have gone by the wayside. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I would like for Kubota to buy it back from me and I don't think that is unreasonable.

Kubota service says there's very little adjustment that can be done to the stiffness of the pedal and they've adjusted it all that can be and, of course, the problem is still there, so I'm going to be stuck with something that does not operate as described and as I expected.

If you are looking at a tractor in the Grand L series, be sure to drive it in an area that will replicate the conditions of your actual usage. Better yet, do a demo on your on property. I wish I had.

Pharmer Phil

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #2  
I've had my 3830 for 3 years and never experianced a problem like that, I know if sounds stupid but do you place your foot on the pedal or do you place your heel on the floorboards and use it like a gas pedal? I use mine in fields bush hogging and do alot in the woods pulling logs and have never had it bounce?

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #3  
I don't know where it is, but I had the exact same problem with a L5030HSTC I bought a couple of years ago. I was so frustrated that I resigned myself to just waiting for the JD 4720 cab to come out and I was trading. In the interim, one of the techs at the Kubota dealership noticed that the wrong return spring was used on the pedal as well as the wrong sized dampener. The spring and dampener are right under where your left butt cheek would be when you are on the tractor. I know, it seems like the wrong side of the tractor, but that is where it is.

Climb under your tractor and have someone work the pedal and you'll see what I'm talking about. By experimenting with different strength springs and going with a larger dampener, it solved my problem. Otherwise, I was forced to drive the tractor with the cruise control lever. :mad: I still prefer two pedals, but the real problem has been solved and there is no more bucking bronco. If your dealer is unfamiliar, show him where I'm talking about under the tractor and have him look up those parts with Kubota. If can[b/] be fixed. Good luck!

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal
Thanks for your replies.

Firec, as for foot placement, I've experimented with everything except sitting upside down and using my hand to push the pedal! It doesn't matter if I place my foot completely on the pedal or plant my heel in the floorboard.

Dargo, my most recent contact with the service manager at the dealership indicates that, on the 3830, the springs and dampener are internal in the transmission.

We haven't given up on making the 3830 work yet.

Again, thanks for the input.

Phil

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #5  
pharmer-phil said:
Dargo, my most recent contact with the service manager at the dealership indicates that, on the 3830, the springs and dampener are internal in the transmission.

That's precisely why I told you how to find them. Your service manager is obviously not up to date with the Kubota tractors. If it's any help, he isn't the only one. Do yourself a favor and follow my previous instructions. You'll have amazing X-Ray vision because you will clearly see the springs and dampener OUTSIDE the transmission. ;)

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal
Dargo --

I am out of town at present...away from the farm....my tractor is at the dealership....but you can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be all over that sucker on Saturday.

Thanks.....and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Pharmer Phil

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #7  
I've got a very uneven/bumpy field that I mow, due in large part, to the soft ground associated with a creek bottom. Anything can depress the ground which has maintained at least a bit of moisture no matter the yearly conditions, and that means ruts/swales/bumps/holes. Anything close to 4mph will bounce you around good in my L5030HSTC, and it's actually better to speed up in a pickup and let the suspension do the work, vs. trying to creep over all the imperfections. So, I know about fairly bumpy ground.

With that said, something is definitely "off" with your tractor. I can use either the "treadle" or the cruise and maintain smooth operation over just about any ground. I could even do this with my NH tractors that had no servo assist on the hydro pedal vs. tractor load. I'm guessing the advice noted above by Dargo is exactly the ticket!

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #8  
I had this problem when I first transitioned from a garden tractor to an L3130HST. It apperaed mostly while mowing uneven ground and was very simply solved by moving the transmission range from ""H" to "M". While is "H" the pedal movements equal a great deal of speed change while in "M" they are much smaller.

/ L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #9  
Phil,

The parts manuals for Kubotas used to be available (for free) online at Tractorsmart.com. If they still are, you can look up the parts drawing for the spring and dampener.

I have some REALLY rough pasture sections - bad enough that staying planted in the seat is difficult at anything more than "creep" speed, and I haven't had this problem with my L4330 HST. I agree that the dealer/kubota need to work a little harder to resolve.

(edit) looked it up on mine; It's hard to find - is on a page called "Cruise Control Lever (HST type)" and the page heading is "Neutral Holder Link (HST type)". The HST damper is part item number 190.

Last edited:
   / L3830 HST Feather Step Pedal #10  
JRobyn said:
(edit) looked it up on mine; It's hard to find - is on a page called "Cruise Control Lever (HST type)" and the page heading is "Neutral Holder Link (HST type)". The HST damper is part item number 190.

And, it's an internal part in his transmission like his dealer said, right? :rolleyes: