Why use clutch with GST?

/ Why use clutch with GST? #21  
Jay & Gary…
On your GST the foot clutch will not have any thing to do with the PTO…

‘Independent’ PTO… as on a GST the PTO has a hydraulic multi disc clutch pack that is independent of the of the drive system… hence the name ‘independent’.

On a transmission type PTO it takes the normal path using the foot clutch.
IF your foot clutch has anything to do with the PTO… then you do not have an independent PTO… KennyV.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #22  
There was a past thread about feathering the PTO lever into engagement to prevent the ‘shock’ of PTO drive on heavy cutters and chipper, shredders. With most GST and hydro transmissions the PTO is independent and you can ‘feather’ the engagement of the hydraulic clutch pack. The old thread was outlining the concern of using electro hydraulic engagement switch on some of the most recent model tractors with independent PTO… With that set up there is NO WAY to slip the clutch pack into engagement. KennyV.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #23  
KennyV said:
Jay & Gary…
On your GST the foot clutch will not have any thing to do with the PTO…

‘Independent’ PTO… as on a GST the PTO has a hydraulic multi disc clutch pack that is independent of the of the drive system… hence the name ‘independent’.

On a transmission type PTO it takes the normal path using the foot clutch.
IF your foot clutch has anything to do with the PTO… then you do not have an independent PTO… KennyV.

Kenny,

Just for giggles, would you put the clutch down all the way, then engage the PTO switch. Keep the clutch down. I bet the PTO is NOT spinning. Let up the clutch and it will spin. While Kubota has an Indepenant PTO, it is not unaffected by cutting power from the engine to the transmission.

At least that's what I "think" will happen. If you can, would you please try it and let us know for sure?

Thanks!
jb

/ Why use clutch with GST? #24  
John bud…
Hello John… As I said I have not used my clutch in years. I guess if you won’t take my word that my memory is working… I will take you up on your ‘bet’… If I know my tractor and the clutch has nothing to do with the PTO, You will owe me a cup coffee. If I’m wrong, I’ll buy you coffee for a year (of course if I’m wrong it will be because my memory will have failed and I might also forget to get you a years supply of coffee.). You will have to take my word for it when I check this for giggles, later this afternoon…

OR actually you won’t have to trust that I am basically honest… Jay can verify this with his L4200… Jay you can check this without hooking anything to your PTO. When the pto clutch pack is disengaged there is a disc brake that automatically is engaged. This will prevent it from turning when not turned on.
You don’t even need a second person to check if the pto is turning… Use the clutch lock down lever (under the clutch pedal), That will hold the foot clutch fully depressed. Turn on the PTO and step to the rear, you should see the PTO spinning… Turn the pto selector off, the pto should stop. When you are finished don’t forget to release the clutch lock down… Post what you find and I will actually check mine, and I will post back. Someone should have coffee… KennyV.
PS.. this should be fun. Also I am curious if all Kubota GST’s have independent PTO… so if you other readers of this will verify if your GST is or is not independent… Please post your results using this same test.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #25  
KennyV said:
John bud…
Hello John… As I said I have not used my clutch in years. I guess if you won’t take my word that my memory is working… I will take you up on your ‘bet’… If I know my tractor and the clutch has nothing to do with the PTO, You will owe me a cup coffee. If I’m wrong, I’ll buy you coffee for a year (of course if I’m wrong it will be because my memory will have failed and I might also forget to get you a years supply of coffee.). You will have to take my word for it when I check this for giggles, later this afternoon…

KennyV,

Honest!!! I do it all the time. The foot clutch WILL disengage the PTO. It WILL also disengage the drive train. But the shuttle shift and or the GST gear selector will ONLY disengage the drive train, that is how / why Kubota calls the PTO “independent”.

When using my bushhog I always use the clutch to let the blade “spin down” to a stop before disengaging the PTO selector.

It is possible I have just been imagining this but I don't think so! So if I may up your bet to a coffee and donut? I will double check mine also this afternoon. :D

Gary

/ Why use clutch with GST? #26  
I am in full agreement with KennyV. A true independent PTO is unaffected by the transmission clutch. I own a L5030 GST and use the PTO for both a rotary cutter and tiller and I am positive that the clutch has absolutly no affect on the PTO.

GaryE; I did not check your bio to see what tractor you have but I am curious if it is perhaps an older model GST. I do believe that all Grand L 30 series tractors have a true independent PTO.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #27  
Two answers. On my L4310GST, the clutch does not affect the PTO.
On using the clutch, on GST's like mine, if you are running the Bushhog at say 2400 RPM and want to go in reverse you should use the clutch to avoid excessive driveline shock. On the newer ones with the computer controlled transmission, I understand the use of the clutch is not required.
The book on mine says to let the RPM's return to idle before changing directions or use the clutch.
FYI
Greg Harrison

/ Why use clutch with GST? #28  
JKUB said:
I am in full agreement with KennyV. A true independent PTO is unaffected by the transmission clutch. I own a L5030 GST and use the PTO for both a rotary cutter and tiller and I am positive that the clutch has absolutly no affect on the PTO.

No kidding? I have a L5030HSTC and the clutch definitely controls the PTO. If your clutch doesn't control the PTO, how do you slowly spin up the PTO? :confused: With my rotary cutter, if I spin it up too fast, one to the blades can get flung around backwards and cause a terrible vibration.

On the JD4600 I had, I always used the clutch when mowing to prevent the rear wheels from leaving any marks in my yard. Although I didn't technically have to use the clutch at all, I had considerably more control over the machine's movements.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #29  
On my 3130 GST I am almost 100 percent sure the foot clutch has nada to do with PTO. It even says in the maual to slow down engine RPM's and engage solenoid lever for PTO.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #30  
OK it’s coffee (and donut) time…
On the L4200GST… It is a true independent PTO. The clutch has nothing to do with the pto.
Checking the WSM, and operators manual it states that, ‘PTO engagement without independent PTO needs clutch operation’…
with independent PTO there is no mention of using clutch but rather states, ‘to avoid damage of PTO clutch and implement, shift the PTO clutch control lever slowly, when engaging the PTO clutch. Do not keep the PTO clutch control lever half way.’
I believe that this is the ‘feathering in’ process that allows the ‘controlled’ engagement of a true independent hydraulic clutch pack pto… I know I can start the heaviest, and also lightest, implement drive very slowly at any engine rpm by slowly moving the control lever.
Back to the origin of this post …
I don’t use my clutch, and haven’t for years… with the exception of 4 strokes on the foot clutch this afternoon… But that was not really for any particular ‘use’ … that was clutching for coffee… and maybe a donut.
… If your transmission clutch (foot clutch) has an effect on your pto, you do not have an independent pto.

Thank you to those that have confirmed what I have stated and
Thanks to everyone that has, and will check their pto and post the results. KennyV.

PS. I like black regular coffee, don’t care much for the new fufu stuff, and any type donut is fine, however I do try to avoid them.