Why use clutch with GST?

/ Why use clutch with GST? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
Hi all -

As I've been using my L4200GST more and more, I've drifted away from using the clutch, and now don't use it at all. I use the glideshift lever for everything now, and I'm wondering if there might be any reason to actually use the clutch instead, other than PTO engaging. I don't use the PTO incidentally - my setup has been 100% backhoe to date. I don't use my tractor to mow, I use it exclusively as a rubber-wheeled backhoe (that is light enough that I can haul it with a pickup truck). I've been doing primarily dirt-moving site work with a lot of back-n-forth loader work, minor grading (tractors make lousy bulldozers) and back dragging, and a bunch of backhoe work.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've even stepped on the clutch pedal for at least a few months.

Jay
L4200

/ Why use clutch with GST? #2  
JAY L4200: I use both modes of the GST; for back and forth work with my L-35. I use the shift lever mostly, however, going into a pile of dirt, I tend to use the clutch for selecting the proper gear, once I'm into the pile for down shifting and "feathering" the load, which makes an easy transition for me. I don't know, if I save any clutch wear? I like the choices for fine movement in confined spaces, also with the clutch. On a long day, in open spaces, I like to rest my left leg, and just use the shift lever! I like the GST!

/ Why use clutch with GST? #3  
I think the clutch pedal is required for pto work, but have never had the backhoe off to use the PTO. I may have to check my operating manual?

/ Why use clutch with GST? #4  
Jay4200 said:
Now that I think about it, I don't think I've even stepped on the clutch pedal for at least a few months.

Jay
L4200

I bet ya use it every time when ya turn the key:)

/ Why use clutch with GST? #5  
WUSHAW: The shift lever has nine positions on the L-35, and the first one is neutral, which by-passes the safety switch on the clutch, also giving you the option for starting.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #6  
Hey all,

I have a L3130 with GST. I have a quick question, when you do "clutchless" shifting, do you go one gear at a time, or do you skip gears (ie. going from 3rd gear to 5th gear)? I noticed in my owner's manual, it states you should shift through gears one at a time, but this can be time consuming in certain situations. Most of the time I use the clutch to start/stop, and when I need to make a significant jump in gears. Most of it is old habit, I grew up driving my grandfather's L185DT.

/ Why use clutch with GST? #7  
BEN 3130: I only multi-shift on a safe downgrade terrain, and never on level conditions for fear of clutch abuse. On a multi-shift on level ground, the built in delay would cause the tractor to slow too much before engaging the up-shifting sequences? I think the manual has it right to preserve the life of the clutch?

/ Why use clutch with GST? #8  
I find, the more you use your GST the less you use the clutch! Other than engaging / disengaging the PTO, there are very few times when I feel the need to use the clutch. The only time I find myself using the clutch is shifting under stress. Such as running the FEL uphill before shifting into reverse. Shifting under load seems to almost beg” you to use the clutch.

Other than that, I must admit I never even touch the clutch peddle.

When not running under load, I have no problem up shifting through several gears. The more work I do, I find the GST is by far “MY” first choice in transmission.

If you would have asked me a few years ago, if I would have chosen a GST as my first choice for a transmission? I am sure I have said no! But it does have its strengths, it is up to you to use it advantages.

Gary

Last edited:
   / Why use clutch with GST?
wushaw said:
I bet ya use it every time when ya turn the key:)

Nope. As long as the glide shift lever is in neutral and the PTO is off, it starts.

Jay

/ Why use clutch with GST?
Ben3130 said:
Hey all,
I have a L3130 with GST. I have a quick question, when you do "clutchless" shifting, do you go one gear at a time, or do you skip gears (ie. going from 3rd gear to 5th gear)? I noticed in my owner's manual, it states you should shift through gears one at a time, but this can be time consuming in certain situations. Most of the time I use the clutch to start/stop, and when I need to make a significant jump in gears. Most of it is old habit, I grew up driving my grandfather's L185DT.

I just stick it in whatever gear I want and go. Shifting through one at a time would be rediculous. There is plenty of torque to start in from a dead stop, even in 7th, although when going fast (like to make a run down the street) I do usually start in 5th then immediately jump to 6th or 7th once I get going.

Let's say I'm driving across the yard to dump a load of dirt and I'm WFO in 5th. When I get close to where I want to dump, I'll release the throttle (I always use the pedal, never the throttle lock lever, unless holding revs to run my backhoe), drop into usually 3rd just to slow enough that I can hit my dump target (2nd if it's a small target). I'll dump then shift from forward to reverse, usually halfway through dumping, then shift back up to 5th and off I go. I'll back and turn then pop it into forward and across the yard I go for another load - all without touching the clutch pedal. I suppose you could consider the back then forward in 5th a 10 gear shift. I'm in and out, around and heading back in 10 seconds or less...if I shifted one gear at a time, it would take minutes to do the same thing. I'm too old to waste that kind of time :).

My thought is that the hydrostatic clutch in the GST mechanism can handle abuse much better than the manual clutch, which is a dry plate.

Jay