PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #1  

jim_galloway

I just tried attaching the PTO shaft for my rotary cutter to my B7800 for the second time. The first time, the coupling slid on very easily and locked in place. Now, I struggled for over a half hour and still have been unable to get the quick-attach coupling to seat onto the shaft/splines. I am able to get the splines to line up, but it seems that the balls inside the coupling wont depress to allow the coupler to seat all of the way.

I am not sure if I am pulling the sliding mechanism of the coupling in far enough for the balls to depress. There is still a centimeter of so of room left between the slider and the seat of the coupling. I even tried using to pair of vice grips to pull the pieces together...but it won't go.

THIS IS FRUSTRATING!!! Does anyone have any advice for me?????

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #2  
PTO shaft with balls have 2 different ways of locking the balls.
  1. The outer ring is rotated to release the balls.
  2. The balls are held by a slip ring that needs to be pulled toward the second ring to release balls.
Try releasing the balls before putting the coupler on PTO shaft.
If your PTO shaft was left outside. It may require lube on the balls to free them from rust.

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #3  
I have a B7800 with a MMM and at times I have difficulty getting my shaft securely fastened to the PTO. It is an awkward position. I find that I have the best sucess by pulling the release collar back and rotating it a few degrees until it holds itself open. I carefully slide the saft over the spline and push in one motion until the collar locks on. Sometimes it works perfectly and others it takes a few tries. I haven't quite figured it out. Good luck.

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #4  
It took me awhile to realize that the metal cover for tractor PTO shaft would flip up. This allowed better access to the PTO coupler.

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #5  
I hate when my shaft won't securely fasten! :)

But seriously, I have a B7500 and it can be really tight trying to get my arms/hands in there and compress the quick connect while trying to push the shaft on the PTO. I have never struggled with it for 1/2 hour, but I have cursed over it for five minutes or so. Brute force is all I can recommend - any keeping both the shaft and the coupler well lubricated.

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #7  
jim_galloway said:
I just tried attaching the PTO shaft for my rotary cutter to my B7800 for the second time. The first time, the coupling slid on very easily and locked in place. Now, I struggled for over a half hour and still have been unable to get the quick-attach coupling to seat onto the shaft/splines. I am able to get the splines to line up, but it seems that the balls inside the coupling wont depress to allow the coupler to seat all of the way.

I am not sure if I am pulling the sliding mechanism of the coupling in far enough for the balls to depress. There is still a centimeter of so of room left between the slider and the seat of the coupling. I even tried using to pair of vice grips to pull the pieces together...but it won't go.

THIS IS FRUSTRATING!!! Does anyone have any advice for me?????
The problem with the ball type locking mechanisms is that the balls are not retracted by the collar. Pulling back the collar only allows the balls to be pushed back by the force you are applying to slip on or off the spline. If the balls are not totally free to move without resistance it is difficult to get them to start moving. Keep the interior spline and balls lubed with a moly grease. Wipe out interior and regrease before each recoupling. Also, if you can, tap the coupler body not the collar on the side with small hammer to shake the balls up a little to help coupling or decoupling. The vibration from this impact causes the balls to move randomly and your coupling force favors the random components that are in the direction to retract the balls. Once they move theyre not stuck anymore and youre on or off.

The push pin type lock mechanism is much less frustrating. Good luck with your balls.
Larry

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #8  
This year beacuse of doing things in the yard I have been leaving my rear deack with the front wheels on a sidwalk. It makes it easy on easy off instead of trying to roll the big deck in the grass (almost impossible). When putting it on I get everything on and the try the PTO shaft which won't lock on. Leaving the shaft partially on I pull forward to get the deck off the side walk which changes the shaft angle. It the snaps right on.

This has had to be done every single time but everytime I change the angle it pushes right on.

Kevin

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem #9  
My tractor has the new hydraulic PTO engagement system that will not allow turning the PTO shaft on the tractor to line up the splines. So the only way is to turn the PTO shaft of the attachment implement to get it to line up. On the 15 ft woods mower that means I have to use a long pry bar on the second U joint to get leverage to turn it. Trying that and push in the coupling at the same time is very difficult. Is there a better way out there??

/ PTO Quick Connect Coupling Problem
Tom's (tawilson) response/link was exactly my problem. I was sliding the plastic collar forward while trying to push it on to the shaft. Instead, one needs to pull the metal collar back in order to disengage the balls. I figured it out the next morning when I went out to give it another try. Mostly because I took the advice to get the balls to disengage before even attempting to slide the fitting onto the shaft.

The cuts on my hands are still healing from my fist attempt.
It's funny how such simple things can cause such serious frustration sometimes.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jim