BX24 and fine cut MMM questions

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #1  

NJDiverDan

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Does anyone have the same configuration as me? I have a BX 24 and the 54inch fine cut deck. First question, Has anyone put the mulching kit on the deck? I am still trying to get info from my dealer about this, it is at the shop (they are still trying to put their hands actually on it) but they do not know the complexity of putting it on. I want to know if I can just do it my self.

Secondly, the fine cut must be set on the lowest on the antiscalp rollers when removing it. Otherwise it does not fit under the frame. Found this out the hard way, which the manual would have been clearer on that one.

-dan

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #2  
Dan

You'll find a ton of posts about the mulching kit for the Bota decks. I've never seen one in use, but I've seen the end results of one. I thought it was pretty nice but a lot of people think they dont mow as well. I think its a matter of choice personally, if you mow more frequently you should be ok.

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #3  
I generally always remove my 60" MMM after each use and attach the FEL. I found it much easier to keep on the FEL while sliding the MMM under the tractor. Use the FEL to raise the front end off the ground slightly until the MMM is properly positioned. Lower the lift arms into position and attached the arm pins. Then connect the drive shaft and finally lower the front end and raise the FEL to install the front arm to the mower deck. I finally remove the FEL and I'm ready to cut grass. I perform the reverse when finished mowing for the week.

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #4  
I have the 54" deck, and the mulching kit which I installed myself. The kit is not difficult to install, it comes with instructions I think. It DOES take time to install (drill holes in deck, multiple pieces). You will not be switching back and forth between mulching and not, as once you get it on you won't want to mess with it.

It works well for me. I am not a big fan of vacumed lawns, so I may not be going for the same look you are. If the lawn is wet or too long, there will be clumping, but I find less clumping than my lawn boy push mower.

I have big hills and rocks and trees, so the ability to not worry which side is being discharged is great for me. I also have kids, so I didn't feel that I could remove the deflector without the mulching kit. With the deflector removed you can edge from both sides of the deck.

For my hills, I back up and go down to cut them and the deck does pretty well even cutting backwards.

YMMV.

-bryan

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions
Thanks for the information. I actually used my Hoe outriggers to raise up the rear wheels to get the deck under.

As for the mulcher, I am still waiting on the info from the dealer. Apparently they were billed for it, which means they received it, but they cannot find it.

Bryan, do you have a fine cut deck? It already has baffles in it?

-dan

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #6  
I have the 54" fine cut MMM, but no mulching kit. Let us know how that works out. I would prefer to mulch but unless you mow multiple times a week I think it's more of a hassle then a help.

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #7  
What is the 60 inch deck like? IT is a "balanced suspension as opposed to the others. Is it a finecut? Is it easier or more difficult to mount/unmount. I get my BX24 at the end of the week and did order the 60 inch deck but don't know if that was the right thing to do or not. Anyone have the 60 and what is it like to work with?

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #8  
What is the 60 inch deck like?

I have a 60" MMM on a BX23 and I installed gatorblades midway through last summer. This combination works outstanding for me.
The std blades worked fine but the gb's do a much better job of chopping the clippings up finer, not as fine as mulching blades, but about as close as you can get and still be able to side discharge and/or bag.

All the Kubota MMM's are very good and well built mowers, you'll not be disappointed in the 60"

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions
My 54" fine cut with the mulcher is doing great. It handled all the leaves around the property (many big maple trees) and does a great job on the lawn. If I let it go too long (where I am cutting a few inches of grass) it still handles it fine, but it will leave a trail of clippings on the right side edge of the deck. Not a huge amount, but noticable compared to normal mulching, but much less than just blowing the clippings out. I can see instances where having a 60" would be better as with getting closer to objects etc, but the 54 does stick out past the wheels fine. And with the mulching kit on and the grass diverter off, I can get cutting close on either side of the mower.

-dan

/ BX24 and fine cut MMM questions #10  
JEW said:
I generally always remove my 60" MMM after each use and attach the FEL. I found it much easier to keep on the FEL while sliding the MMM under the tractor. Use the FEL to raise the front end off the ground slightly until the MMM is properly positioned. Lower the lift arms into position and attached the arm pins. Then connect the drive shaft and finally lower the front end and raise the FEL to install the front arm to the mower deck. I finally remove the FEL and I'm ready to cut grass. I perform the reverse when finished mowing for the week.

Ended up doing the same procedure as you noted this past weekend on my B7800 with the 60" MMM. Found that I can connect the MMM and disconnect the FEL in 10 minutes. This is I feel is reasonable.

Also I did buy the Gator blades based on Volfant's recommendation. Indeed they are a very good cutting replacement blade to the Kubota OEM blade.