BX24 -- The First Ten Hours

/ BX24 -- The First Ten Hours #1  

Hotwheels

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, RTV900-Worksite
Tonight I broke ten hours, mostly pushing dirt around and working on leveling out some spots where we plan to build a shop. A dozer will probably have to do most of the real work, but it is practice for me. Took off the box scrapper and remounted the backhoe without incident, although I did have to read the manual to refresh my memory.

Working with the loader has been easy to learn. The backhoe will take some practice. My tendency is to push "down" rather than use the arm to pull back and it makes for some unsettling ups and downs in the seat. I am glad the ground is level where the practice is taking place. I am taking it in smaller steps and slower to get the movements down before I venture out to do hoe work on more uneven ground.

My fender has not broken yet. Glad I read the manual and posts here about the engine cutting off when I lift off the seat. I was convinced I did not have enough transmission fluid since it did not seem to be registering when I checked -- went to the dealer and told him and he gave me a supply of UDT. He cautioned me, 'look real careful because that fluid is clear and you may not be seeing it." I told him I was sure it was dry. I was wrong. I took the UD back to him with a lesson learned.

Nothing else remarkable other than there must be some better way to fill the gas tank other than just dumping it in through a funnel. And, the five minute warm up time is an addition to my patience training.

The machine is all I hoped it would be and it is making digging and moving hard soil an easier chore than using a pick, shovel, and barrow.

/ BX24 -- The First Ten Hours #3  
Hotwheels said:
... My fender has not broken yet...
...And, the five minute warm up time is an addition to my patience training...
...The machine is all I hoped it would be and it is making digging and moving hard soil an easier chore than using a pick, shovel, and barrow.
So - don't look for the fender to break... it might not... I'm at 50 hours and mine is fine... despite my best attempts to step on the absolute edge...
5 minute warm-up time - what the... you are a better tractor-er than I sir... I get so excited to hop on and take off - I give mine about a minute of warm-up before the throttle starts moving... in winter I'll wait a couple more...
Now - about the part about manual labor... we have this crazy old guy down the street. He drives his tractor down the driveway to get his mail... take out the trash... move laundry to the clothesline... all on the tractor (have even seen him watering the lawn from a moving tractor - hose in tow!)
My wife told me I could get a tractor - if I promised to not be like him... yet, somehow... time in the saddle is so rewarding... I seem to be finding ways and things to do with the tractor that go beyond the "pick, shovel and barrow" replacement it was supposed to serve... come to think of it - today was garbage day... and someone needs to bring in the empty can...

/ BX24 -- The First Ten Hours #4  
I posted a 12 hr assessment on my BX23 many moons ago and it basically echo's yours. Good thing is it'll get even better :D

With practice useing and R&R'ing implements becomes easier and 2nd nature. I mow with the FEL & BH dismounted and have found that putting them on dollies makes stowage and mounting/dismounting very easy. Course a concrete floor is a must.

While warming up I generally do a pre-use use inspection which includes starting the engine with the hood open to observe anything unusual, do a walk around making sure the tires look right and that everything else looks good. If I need to fuel I'll do it at this time also.
By the time I've done the preuse which only takes a couple minutes, the BX23 is sufficently warmed up for use. Since I store it inside a shop my winter ritual is to then drive it outside and let it idle at the sweet spot whilst I'm getting properly clothed for the task at hand.

Add bucket hooks to the FEL and a thumb to the BH and you've at least doubled the usefulness of those implements. Not to mention how much better your back will feel with these doing the work.

As a finish mower I find that I'm almost disapointed when I'm done mowing 4 acres. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a tilting steering wheel as that would make it very comfortable :D

I come up with new uses for my machine all the time, anything that'll increase seat time :D

Volfandt

/ BX24 -- The First Ten Hours
Fishpick --- I drove the 24 down the 1/4 mile drive to get the mail yesterday! I have a whole list of jobs to do once I get more comfotable on uneven ground!

Volfandt --- good idea about the preuse check. I have been doing that every so often, but not every time. The manual says to wait five minutes and checking the engine, tires, hydraulics, etc... takes almost that long. Our winters are not as cold as yours, but we have spells of 20 degree weather. I do not have an inside storage option yet, so I am still shoping for a cover to keep the rain and blowing dirt off the tractor and hoe.

My wife is starting to use the backhoe --- she wanted one for the tractor and she is more coordinated at it than I am. It opens up a lot of options for planting, etc....

I am moving onto more uneven ground using the FEL and the hoe to establish a path around the property that I can then work from. It is like building a road -- great fun and a place for me and the dogs to walk!

/ BX24 -- The First Ten Hours #6  
"... we have this crazy old guy down the street. He drives his tractor down the driveway to get his mail... take out the trash... move laundry to the clothesline... all on the tractor..."

Seriously, Fishpick. I looked at where you lived to make sure you weren't in my neck of the woods watching my weekly routine. I mounted some aluminum tabs on the back of my trash cans so I can pick them up and set them down without getting my lazy butt out of the seat. I guess I have an excuse that the drive is 300' long, but that isn't much help when I use the loader to transport my weekly groceries (40 to 60 lbs worth, depending) from the back of the Expedition to the garage steps...some 30 or so feet, I guess.

Shame on me, right? Just looking for seat time wherever it may be found!

/ BX24 -- The First Ten Hours #7  
:D
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time... As I read this out loud (after laughing to the point of tears) to my wife - she said "What are you talking about - you drove a tarp from the garage to the back yard. What's that weigh, like 2 pounds?"
OK - so I confess (and I hinted at it too)... these tractors of ours are a form of drug... I find all sorts of additional tasks to use the little bugger for - because it's just so darn much fun!
This board is great to keep your sanity...
On another note - Volfandt - where did you put the bucket hooks on - and how?

/ BX24 -- The First Ten Hours #8  
Hot,

You guys are so funny, using a FEL to get the mail, I am glad I NEVER did that:D :D :D :D wink wink

As far a fueling goes, get one of these see link, electric pump, makes the job a breeze and saves your back. The good part of diesel, u cannot use the pump gasoline. Walmart has them for less then $10.

Kerosene Heater Battery Siphon Pump - Red Hill General Store

Enjoy:eek: