LA680 HD Bucket cutting edge replacement?

/ LA680 HD Bucket cutting edge replacement? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I don't know that you can see anything meaningful in the picture I attached, but in any case, this is my LA680 FEL bucket. It is a double-walled HD bucket (rocks are our biggest cash crop, after all).

It looks as though the previous owner(s) used the FEL to plow snow for a long time, as the cutting edge is quite worn. The bucket sides are in great shape, so the wear is definately not from digging. The edge is worn back to well behind the bucket sides, by about 3-4 inches (although maybe it's suppose to look like that - don't know), and the edge itself is down to ~2" wide or so.

I'd like to either cut it out and weld in a new one, or maybe just weld a new edge onto the bottom of the old one, which I think will work just as well and be a whole lot easier to do. I imagine I could also drill holes through the existing edge, then bolt something on, which would probably be the easiest of all solutions.

Any suggestions? What kind of options do I have for edges and how much do they cost?

Are store-bought cutting edges hardened, or could I just get a 4" wide strip of 1/4" steel and grind an edge onto it?

Thanks - Jay

Attachments

• LA680_HD_Bucket.jpg
    LA680_HD_Bucket.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 219
   / LA680 HD Bucket cutting edge replacement? #2  
If you buy regular cutting edge they are hardned and will last a lot longer than mild steel and are no harder to weld on at least not a small edge like that you will have problems drilling that edge it was hard to begin with and more so after being work hardened not saying they can't be drilled just need the right bit

/ LA680 HD Bucket cutting edge replacement? #3  
Get a weld on cutting edge and cut the old one off. If you want to drill holes be prepared to sharpen the bit or use a hot bit but that leaves a ragged hole.

Do not use mild steel unless you wish to replace it often.

/ LA680 HD Bucket cutting edge replacement? #4  
Yep, best bet is to carefully cut off the old one and weld on a new one. It will be hardened.

If you are going to give it the same treatment, you can buy the new edge with predrilled holes for a replaceable edge. That is a 2nd one that is bolted to the bottom of the first one. That's the way I went. 4" wide weldable and 6" wide replaceable bolt on.

The un-welding part took most of the time...

jb