FEL on BX24/LA240

/ FEL on BX24/LA240 #1  

FishAlaska

Bronze Member
I have a question concerning the lift capacity. Will the relief valve only lift what it is rated for or is it possible to overload the FEL. The reason I ask is I have lifted over 600lbs + of concrete no problem with this thing which is over the capacity. But one problem I do see is if I am moving dirt from a pile I can not lift up through the pile without curling the bucket and backing up, even if the pile is only 3 feet tall. Can you damage the loader and how would one know what the weight is of loaded rock or dirt?

Model LA240
Application BX24
Max. lift height (to bucket pivot pin) 71.3 in. (1811.0 mm)
Reach with attachment on ground 54.7 in. (1389.4 mm)
Dumping clearance 52.4 in. (1331.0 mm)
Dumping reach at max. lift height 26.2 in. (665.5 mm)
Max. dumping angle 45 degrees
Bucket rollback angle 29 degrees
Digging depth at bucket leveled 4.7 in. (119.4 mm)
Bucket width 48 in. (1219 mm)
Lift capacity (19.7 in forward) 518 lbs. (235 kg) Breakout force (19.7 in forward) 992 lbs. (4410 N)

/ FEL on BX24/LA240 #2  
My understanding is that most folks that actually measure the weight, get more than rated.
The relief should provide the power which is appropriate for how it is set. A BS answer, I know. It should be close to spec. Some folks have measured theirs and found it ok or bought shims and increased the relief press. to spec. I believe some have had it done at the dealer.
The only way the relief can work is when fluid is flowing so, if the bucket is loaded, with the bucket raised, but not moving, the system could be overloaded without the relief popping. Same thing if bulldozing with the bucket curled out with no usage of the joystick.
I believe your experience with loading from a pile is common. You can practice more and try to shave the pile just right to get a full bucket without bogging it ... that's too much paying-attention for me so I do it like you.

/ FEL on BX24/LA240 #3  
FishAlaska said:
I have a question concerning the lift capacity. Will the relief valve only lift what it is rated for or is it possible to overload the FEL. The reason I ask is I have lifted over 600lbs + of concrete no problem with this thing which is over the capacity. But one problem I do see is if I am moving dirt from a pile I can not lift up through the pile without curling the bucket and backing up, even if the pile is only 3 feet tall. Can you damage the loader and how would one know what the weight is of loaded rock or dirt?

Other people with the BX series tractors have reported lifting well above the rated capacity with their loaders. They seem to be rated conservatively. The situation you describe with the dirt pile is normal behavior from my experience with my loader. The curl (breakout force) is quite a bit higher than the lifting capacity. Why it won't lift it directly without breaking it out by curling I don't really know.

I have always relied on the relief valve to protect me from overloading the loader to the point of damaging the cylinders or bending something. Perhaps this is naive but so far so good. But I will say that other issues such as stability of the tractor should be taken into account when lifting heavy loads. Too much weight could offset the tractor balance and cause a roll or other loss of control.

If you haven't heard this already the key words are "low and slow".:)

/ FEL on BX24/LA240
Good info...I guess I should not load while the bucket is up unless I know the weight. I hope I did not damage anything. It moved the weight up and down once I went to the location so I assume I was not overloaded as far as the system goes.

Where would the weak point in the FEL be if it were overloaded? I think it would be easy to twist one of these FELs due to there only being the one crossover in front of the tractor.

/ FEL on BX24/LA240
Yes I do go low and slow....I do not lift any higher than needed to get from point A to point B. But this thing will lift way more than what the specs say and I do not want to damage anything. My brother has lifted over 880lbs in his no problem. 10 80lb bags of concrete and some tools.

/ FEL on BX24/LA240 #6  
I'd agree that the pile of dirt scenario - After moving 12 - 10 wheelers of dirt in the last week or so - I definitely agree... If you do it a lot you will "get it" as far as the hit the pile, lift, curl, reverse, uncurl, forward... repeat. To get you the full load you want. It's kinda an art - and I also can say depending on soil type - the technique changes... but it's normal :)
I can also attest to lifting more than the rated amount... actually, what scared me the most was some creaking from the attachment point on the right side... I was afraid the thing was gonna snap off - come to find out (after a near panic call to the dealer) it's a good idea to keep some grease in the channel where the loader sits.

/ FEL on BX24/LA240 #7  
I bet a lot of what goes into the "rated" weight has to do with driving with a loaded bucket over rough terrain and the damage that can result to the frame. If it will lift it, I say it is OK as long as you go slow.