Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD?

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #1  

carver4591

Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
HI all am I wearing out my tractor by leaving it in 4WD all the time? Brad

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #2  
There has been some discussion a few threads back about this. I think evereyone had different opinions. Just keep it off hard surfaces

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #3  
Just curious........why would you want to do that if there is a risk of damaging your tractor????....not that difficult to take it out of 4 wheel drive.

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #4  
Why do you ask? Is there a 2WD setting somewhere !? :rolleyes:

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #5  
I am in 4wd 99% of the time, that includes about 4 hours mowing each week, lots of FEL work, getting into position for BH work, spreading, and plowing season is upcoming. It has 4wd for a reason and I use it, otherwise I would tear up my lawn, free-fall down my hills while mowing, or otherwise just not move. I do put it into 2wd for any on pavement activities like after mowing for backing into garage, even going back to the truck to load of the spreader, things like that.

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #6  
AMR - studies have proven that 10000 hours of operation after running in 4WD all the time is unattainable... you will have to accept the risk of additional wear and tear on the machine using 4WD the way you do... you Kubota will likely wear out a 9999 hours. :D
Your use of 4WD is about the same as mine - Like HomeBrew2 says - I forgot where the 2WD setting is...

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #7  
rosey said:
Just curious........why would you want to do that if there is a risk of damaging your tractor????....not that difficult to take it out of 4 wheel drive.

I actually don't leave my tractor in 4WD during the summer, but at all other times I leave it there. I can see why others might as well. During the fall and spring, I am doing mostly landscaping work (trails, leveling areas, filling areas, stuff with FEL, and then hauling things in my "wagon"). During the winter, I will be doing snow removal work and spreading sand and salt with my FEL. I live on a big hill, with very few flat or even nearly flat surfaces. So, any of that kind of work will require 4WD. The only reason I take it out of 4WD is if I am mowing. As a general rule, I have found it easier to mow in 2WD, and if I start to slip in 2WD while mowing, I just figure the grass is still too wet.

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #8  
I only use it when moving dirt or in sticky situations. For the most part I'm just mowing or moving around I don't see a need for it. Turning sharply in 4wd will have a tendancy to tear things up, on the ground that is...unless you are on pavement.

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #9  
I'm in and out of 4WD constantly depending on the situation. As a rule of thumb I default to 2WD and shift into 4WD as needed. Sometimes shifting is quite frequent during the course of a single task.

2WD:
Mowing flat areas
Driving "long" distances
Tight turns (including in snow)

4WD:
Slopes of any kind (up, down or side; with or w/o implements)
Snow removal
Mud
Rough terrain

/ Harming BX2200 leaving in 4WD? #10  
carver4591 said:
HI all am I wearing out my tractor by leaving it in 4WD all the time? Brad

Just as long as you don't run on a hard surface in 4wd you will be fine.
Bob