Tires Getting stuck with turf tires

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #1  

MOPAULY

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I've managed to get my fresh new BX24 stuck twice now with the turf tires. We have a heavy clay soil here and in both occasions I've needed the backhoe to pull myself out.

Are the industrial any better? I'm starting to wonder if I should look into a second set of tires / wheels for certain activities. Last night I was clearing some ground for my neighbor, and scalping off a few inches of soil for a swing set to go in. Got stuck in a softer area of the ground, the turf tires seem to load up pretty easy.

Your thoughts?

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #2  
MOPAULY said:
I've managed to get my fresh new BX24 stuck twice now with the turf tires. We have a heavy clay soil here and in both occasions I've needed the backhoe to pull myself out.

Are the industrial any better? I'm starting to wonder if I should look into a second set of tires / wheels for certain activities. Last night I was clearing some ground for my neighbor, and scalping off a few inches of soil for a swing set to go in. Got stuck in a softer area of the ground, the turf tires seem to load up pretty easy.

Your thoughts?
The industraul tire are deffinialy better as far as not getting stuck as much. Plus a little better for not getting Flats as much. The tradeoff is tires leave more of impression if soft. and if you are contunily go over same soft spots they may tend to rip up the sod a little quicker. I'm glad i have mine but i do not use for a lawn. i use mostly on trails. So with the industrauls you would be able to get more places if soft.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #3  
I have used turf tires in the past, and while they are great on grass, they were not so great anywhere else (except maybe concrete). Like you, I found that they loaded with dirt and clay but could not clean themselves out quick enough to get traction the next time around. I would go with the insustrial all the time unless you are doing a lot of driving on wet turf (or driving on customer's lawns who might complain about the slightest indentation). If you are going to have two sets, however, my question is why have turf and industrial? If you are going to have two sets of tires, why not turf and Ag tires? That way, you'll have a light footed tire and an agressive one for heavy soils.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires
The tractors main use is for lawn care...so if I went with another set it would have to be a quick change type thing. With industrial I may be able to get away without tearing up my lawn just driving around, opposed to the AG's.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #5  
PondCreekFarm said:
I have used turf tires in the past, and while they are great on grass, they were not so great anywhere else (except maybe concrete). Like you, I found that they loaded with dirt and clay but could not clean themselves out quick enough to get traction the next time around. I would go with the insustrial all the time unless you are doing a lot of driving on wet turf (or driving on customer's lawns who might complain about the slightest indentation). If you are going to have two sets, however, my question is why have turf and industrial? If you are going to have two sets of tires, why not turf and Ag tires? That way, you'll have a light footed tire and an agressive one for heavy soils.
I got my BX1500 with both turf and ag sets. The turfs were only on until I used the Ags the 1st time. I have never put the turfs back on. Anybody want a set of turfs with about 5 miles on them?
Larry

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #6  
SPYDERLK said:
I got my BX1500 with both turf and ag sets. The turfs were only on until I used the Ags the 1st time. I have never put the turfs back on. Anybody want a set of turfs with about 5 miles on them?
Larry

Same here. For a year I ran a little of both. But I had ags only on the rear, where I needed them. Even with my 2000#+/- L, if I got on a little hill or something they would spin. Have to use the diff lock to get out.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #7  
How 'bout tire chains ?

Easier than swapping tires.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #8  
MOPAULY said:
The tractors main use is for lawn care...so if I went with another set it would have to be a quick change type thing. With industrial I may be able to get away without tearing up my lawn just driving around, opposed to the AG's.

I have ags/industrial/R4s (not sure I know the difference--they are like ags, but the tread sort of flattens out in the middle of the tire, they are not the turfs). I live on a large hill with some fairly steep inclines. I traverse my lawn nearly every time I use the tractor, and use it for mowing about 30% of the time hauling, grading and snow removal will be the other 70%. It is rare for me to tear up the lawn (usually only where the turf is weak or the ground is pretty wet), but wouldn't be rare for me to get stuck with Turfs. So, I am glad I bought mine with the non-turfs (whatever they are called). My dealer told me he thought with these tires there was a good chance I'll get up my driveway all winter without chains.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #9  
SPYDERLK said:
Larry

What size are they?

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #10  
Jethro, they are 16X7.50x8NHS and 24X12.00X12NHS mounted on BX1500 rims.
Larry