Rust removal tip

/ Rust removal tip #1  

Jethro

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550, several Exmark ZTRs, Walker GHS and a 1967 Craftsman Surburban
When preping rusted iron or steel for paint you can apply phosphoric acid to the rust. It will convert to rust (iron oxide) into an inert black powder (iron phosphate) that can easily be removed before painting. Heavily rusted surfaces may require multipls applications. It is not reccomended that you apply the acid to paint, as it will soften it. I have done so and found that it was not a problem if you wash the surface and then remove any loose / soft paint.

Phosphoric acid is usually available in paint stores, commonly labled as "rust remover". It is usually a green liquid, but is also avilable in a gel formulation (naval jelly) which would likley work better on non-horizontal surfaces.

/ Rust removal tip #2  
Or - you could have my mother-in-law talk at the rust... her voice... never mind, it's too true to be funny... :eek:

/ Rust removal tip
fishpick said:
Or - you could have my mother-in-law talk at the rust... her voice... never mind, it's too true to be funny... :eek:

For me it would be my father-in-law, but would I would rather deal with the acid. It is far less irritating.

/ Rust removal tip #6  
I just ran across a product called Revive it is made by Quest chemical corporation in Huston Texas. The product can be sprayed on a rusted surface it then converts the rust to a black polymer base coat that prevents future rust, you can leave it as is or paint directly on the treated area. They also have a liquid version that does the same.

/ Rust removal tip #7  
Sounds like a product I have used called Rust-Mort - you put it on - wipe it off after the bubbles stop - wipe it down - dry - paint. Works pretty well.

/ Rust removal tip #9  
toy1 said:
I just ran across a product called Revive it is made by Quest chemical corporation in Huston Texas. The product can be sprayed on a rusted surface it then converts the rust to a black polymer base coat that prevents future rust, you can leave it as is or paint directly on the treated area. They also have a liquid version that does the same.

I tried out a rust converter product on my tractor this past weekend. I forget what it's called (something like "Rust Converter" - how original), but I got it at WalMart for about $3 in a spray can. It appears to work as advertized.

Jay

/ Rust removal tip #10  
bx23barry said:
Just pait it with POR :D

Do you by chance mean POR 15? I have used that for years and years. Works great.

I also like the rust encapsulator that Eastwood sells. Had very good results with it as well.

For removing rust I like there rust dissolver.