Snow Advice on Snow Blower

/ Advice on Snow Blower #1  

truenewfie

I just purchased my first tractor, a new B7800 with R4 tires, FEL and RMM. My purpose for the Kubota is to maintain my 10 acre property (no farming). I have used it for 5 months to mow the 4+ acres of lawn. It is a little heavy but if you are careful it does a darn good job.

My next purpose is to clear my driveway. It is about 600 feet and cost me $1000 / year to have it cleared by a contractor last year. I did the math and said a Kuobta was a better investment.

I now need to purchase a rear blower to do the driveway. We get a lot of snow up here in New Brunswick, Canada. We can get storms that drop 24" in a few hours. I think it will get lots of use as a snow blower.

What are your suggestions? Should I buy new or used? What brand and size should I look for and what price is reasonable (Canada and US dollar are almost equal in value these days when you factor in the tax)? Is there anythin in particular that I should look for that may not be obvious to a newbe?

Thanks in advance for the help.

/ Advice on Snow Blower #2  
Front mount blower, you may not to turn your head for that distance
Jim

/ Advice on Snow Blower #3  
Hi there:

I have a L3400 and live in Ontario - so less snow than you for sure!. I just bit the bullet on a snowblower and put a deposit down on a Meteor 68" blower made by Walco. It's made in Ontario and I've heard that prices and quality are good.

Provonost puma is another blower that others say they are happy with. Prices were higher than the Meteor and they didn't get back to me soon enough before I made my mind up on the Meteor. I'm paying $1800 cdn for the Meteor + 100 for skid shoes.

Good luck with what you decide.

/ Advice on Snow Blower #4  
I use a rear blower and my driveway is the same length as yours.
My B64, Blizzard brand blower has worked real well. I also blow a very long path around my field to walk our dogs and I've had no issues (neck, back) despite looking over my shoulder while backing up.
Here is the site; RAD Tech-Souffleuses à neige

Here is another popular brand; PRONOVOST-PUMA SNOWBLOWERS

I would think 64" -72" would be a good choice for the B7800

/ Advice on Snow Blower #5  
I believe the Kubota front mount snowblower model is a B2782. That's what I would go with if you can live without having your FEL mounted. Will set ya back around $4K to $5K US.

/ Advice on Snow Blower #6  
I have a B7800 with a Kubota front snow blower and love it ! I toyed with getting a rear blower because it would be cheaper, but upon getting advice from this forum I went with the front blower and do not regret it for a minute. Cost is close to twice that of a rear blower as I recall.

/ Advice on Snow Blower #7  
The 2782 kubota snowblower can be used on the rear as well as the front. Kubota sells a kit to convert it to rear use. From my perspective ( having owned 2 kubota front blowers) thats like putting retreads on a rolls royce. Front blowing is the way to go, and those prices above are accurate, i purchased a 2782 snowblower last october with subframe and hydraulic chute control, it was $4400.

/ Advice on Snow Blower #8  
Truenewfie, are you in the Moncton area? That's where I am.

I have a B7800 and I've used an old "no name" 72" rear blower with it for the past 2 winters. It works great and the B7800 has absolutely no problem powering it. I've had this blower for about 12 years (used it on a bigger tractor before the Kubota). The only annoyance with the wide blower (I don't even consider it a problem) is that it is 18" wider than my FEL bucket and I have to be careful when I am using the loader with the blower attached.

If I were buying a new blower I would go with a rear mount because it gives me the flexibility of using the FEL and blower in the same snow event, and I would get a 60" one to more closely match the width of the tractor. I also recommend power chute rotation and, if you are working in close quarters, a power deflector. As far as make, I would have to research it like you are doing now.

It's late now, but sometimes you can get a good deal in the off season. I bought the 72" blower in July and got a great deal on it.

BTW, congratulations on the B7800 - it is one strong little powerhouse.:)

/ Advice on Snow Blower #9  
I like using snow blowers, there fun and do a great job, I used one when I lived in Maine and I can't use one anymore. ( insert sad face here )
Jim