BX Radiator drain

/ BX Radiator drain #1  

JWE

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Last week I performed scheduled maintenance on my BX2200 radiator (drain – flush – flush - refill). The radiator has a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator that is surrounded by a couple of cables. It is not hard to get the plug out but the fluid drains directly onto a flat area of the frame and then disperses over a wide area (making a mess). I’ve tried all sorts of channels and hoses but nothing that I’ve tried works well. I would like to be able to drain the fluid directly into a jug via hose. It sure would be nice if I could find a petcock valve to replace the plug. So far, I have tried the local auto parts stores and one radiator shop but they did not have a petcock with the proper thread. I believe the plug is 10 mm, course thread. I found a place online that had hundreds of drain valves but none with metric threads. I even looked for a 10 MM adapter that would go from 10 mm to standard pipe thread. If I could find an adapter then I could use a common automobile petcock.

Has anyone added a radiator drain valve to their BX? If so, where did you get the parts?

John

/ BX Radiator drain #2  
I posted a question about the BX Radiator drain a few months ago, just looking for any tips or tricks to avoid the huge mess it makes. I didn't get any responses from it, so I am anxious to hear what your solution might me. Let us know what you figure out.

Wes

/ BX Radiator drain #3  
John, Wes...
You can find adaptors at any well equipped auto parts place… they are commonly used to change sending units (water temp, oil pressure/temp), on engines… KennyV.

/ BX Radiator drain
KennyV

I stopped at the local NAPA and Advanced Auto and they said that they did not have any adaptors like that. :confused: I guess I need to make another visit and be a little more assertive.

I'll let you know how I make out.

John

/ BX Radiator drain #5  
John...
If no local parts house has the adaptor you need… almost any small machine shop can make you what you need using a plug, drill a hole in it, then tap the needed threads in the hole. KennyV.

/ BX Radiator drain #6  
MSC Industrial Supply Co. has everything you need to do the conversion. I have had to do this a couple of times before. Pick your choice of drain valve here in NPT (SAE thread). Then pick the metric to NPT adaptor to fit your drain hole and the drain valve you pick.

Don't forget to order your free catalog (or should I say 20 pound brick) from them to. It's a invaluable tool to have for any Mr. Fix it.

/ BX Radiator drain
DieselPower... thanks for the great information.

Kenny & Tom

I think the adapter in the attachment may be what we need but I am not sure. I'm not sure that the RAD plug is NPT. It may be a standard bolt thread because it has a rubber washer as a seal; I don't think it is tapered. I did not see any couplings that have standard metric (male) and NPT female thread. Another concern is that the existing plug is PVC. Not sure if it is OK to use stainless steel.

Item# 84433465, I think the page # was 4179.

What are your thoughts?

John

Attachments

• Rad_Adpt.JPG
    Rad_Adpt.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 365
   / BX Radiator drain #9  
If the fitting in your radiator is straight thread and has a O-ring it might be a JIC fitting. Stop by your local Caterpillar diesel engine shop and see if they can find you a fitting. Cat engines are covered in JIC fitting's so there is a chance they might have what you need. Most hydraulic repair shops also carry JIC fitting's. Worth trying them to.

/ BX Radiator drain #10  
If you are sealing on a washer, you are right it is not a taper thread… you need to take the plug to anyone with a metric thread gage, find out what you need and locate or have an adaptor made… metal plastic or anything will work, your temperature will never see 200 degrees at the bottom of the radiator… also the pressure will be low, so almost anything with the right thread combination will work. KennyV.