Purchasing a BX24 and have questions...

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions... #1  

Mustangous

Silver Member
Hello all, Have been brousing the site for some time now and i am ready to make a purchase on the BX24. I am purchasing my first house (in central NJ) and the BX24 would be a huge help. I had a few questions i hope some of you guys can help me with.

1. I am trying to shop around and i heard from here about Emerich sales and service up in NY. Well anyway he said that he does something "special" with the bagger unit to fit on the BX24 because its really not made for it. Something about the way the backhoe mounts. He said the bagger is made for the 2350. Is this true? He also said that when he is done with it the bagger wont fit back on the 2350, not that i care though. Anyone know of this?

2. Does the 60" or the 54" MMM work better with the bagger unit over the other? I am having trouble deciding between the 54" and 60" mover deck. Meaning would the smaller deck help collect the leaves and grass clipping better? I heard someone putting 60" gator blades on the 54" deck, is that possible and why? I am not sure if the 60" will be too big. I know its only 6 inches bigger than the 54 but not sure if that 6 inches (3 inches on each side) is a huge difference? I have just over an acre (1.1) and right now there are A LOT of trees. I am planning to take most, if not all down, so i am not sure if i am gonna wish i got the 60" after i cut them down just before next spring.

3. Does anyone know of, or have any experience with Hollingers Sports 'n Turf in Ephrata, PA. They are working some numbers as i type this. Just dont know how their reputation is?

4. Anyone with experience with the snowblower attachment, how deep of snow is needed for the blower to work? Hows the over all performance of the blower. any negatives other than price?

Thanks for anyone who can help. This is a huge purchase for me and just dont want to run into any issues.

Troy

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions... #2  
Personally, I would recommend exploring a different bagging solution than the Kubota unit -- perhaps trac-vac or similar, especially considering the price. The Kubota unit is very heavy and quite cumbersome. I also don't think the performance is at the same level as last year's unit (from what I've seen of a friend's 2230 unit). You'll need to remove all of your 3 pt hitch hardware to use it -- what a pain. I had one for my 2350 for the entire summer before I returned it to the dealer. I really feel that they missed the mark on the bagger.

I opted to punt on any bagging unit and just use the power of the tractor and the MMM to mulch the clippings by mowing in a single direction (by the time I get to the edge of the lawn, the clippings have pretty much disappeared). From what I can tell, the cut is much better and it takes me considerably less time to mow the lawn. I plan on trying the gator blades next year.

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions...
nh_bota said:
Personally, I would recommend exploring a different bagging solution than the Kubota unit -- perhaps trac-vac or similar, especially considering the price. The Kubota unit is very heavy and quite cumbersome. I also don't think the performance is at the same level as last year's unit (from what I've seen of a friend's 2230 unit). You'll need to remove all of your 3 pt hitch hardware to use it -- what a pain. I had one for my 2350 for the entire summer before I returned it to the dealer. I really feel that they missed the mark on the bagger.
That true trac w/pto version seems like a really good idea but very expensive, $2500. I dont want another motor around...

hmmm, wonder if i would implement the factory bagger with a cart?
Thanks for the suggestion... just made me more confused... :D

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions... #4  
Don't think you could do much with the "factory bagger with a cart". Isn't built that way. And as far as putting the OEM bagger on, I've got it down to 8 to 10 minutes and minimal fiddling. Nice little aluminum floor jack is key. It definitely takes some getting used to, but such is the case with everything. Use to take me 10 minutes to put the loader on (don't ask why), but that's down to little more than a minute.

Been hearing the new bagger doesn't perform quite as well, but not sure that is worth the brain damage of dealing with a trailer type bagger system. ESPECIALLY with a bunch of trees.

I'm not sure why you'd have to do anything different to get the bagger hooked to a BX24. All it connects to is the top link pin by the tractor (without the adjustable link) and to the bottom links without the lifting links. If you have a problem attaching that, it seems like you'd have a problem attaching just about any other implement. Doesn't make sense to me, but I don't have a BX24.

And the 60" deck is a no-brainer. It's hot. Never ceases to amaze me just how much grass gets cut in one swath. Simply an amazing deck. And it is a heavier gauge steel than the 54".

And unfortunately no matter how many questions you ask, you'll still run into issues. For farmer folk that know what they're doing, all this is old hat. For those of us that used to push mow or have one of those stupid little mowers where you sit on the engine, this is such a new universe that you couldn't even CONCIEVE of all the fun/questions/concerns/issues up front. You're picking a great brand, for one. You know of this forum, for two. I'd just try to buy from where you plan on having it serviced and try and have that be closer to the house rather than further away.

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions... #5  
I would recommend the 60" - much easier to maneuver around obstacles as well as less passes with the additional width. Self leveling doesn't hurt either...

Only consideration is where you store the tractor and trailering it with the additional deck width - I recall a post that stated 54" allows you to use a 5' wide trailer...food for thought...

KeithInSpace said:
Don't think you could do much with the "factory bagger with a cart". Isn't built that way. And as far as putting the OEM bagger on, I've got it down to 8 to 10 minutes and minimal fiddling. Nice little aluminum floor jack is key. It definitely takes some getting used to, but such is the case with everything. Use to take me 10 minutes to put the loader on (don't ask why), but that's down to little more than a minute.

Thanks for the responce... I think that i am goona go with the kubota bagger system. I hear a lot of people liking it and hopefully next year there will be very few trees so leaves wont be a huge concern like this year. On the kubota bagger, is that 3 seperate bags? Does anyone have detailed pictures of their bagger unit?

could someone tell me what the difference between the 54"mmm with suspended linkage compared to the 60" self balanced, whats the difference?

Thanks again for everyones repsonces.

Troy

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions... #7  
I am also in NJ (Warren County) and have had my BX24 for around 1 month now. I went with the 54" fine cut deck as I did not like how far the 60" stuck out past the wheels. Even at only 3 more inches, it was a lot to step over getting on and off the tractor. Also I have one opening in my fence that I would have had to modify to get a 60" deck through.

What are your plans for the bagger? The fine cut deck mulches pretty well, and I just added the actual "mulching kit" which should make the grass really fine. The first few years in our house, we bagged the leaves with the old murray lawn tractor. Last year (before the murray seized) I just mulched the leaves and it was much better than bagging. With the BX24, I am figuring at least 2X better performance, so I did not even consider a bagger. If I do find I need one I will go with either a cyclone rake or a DR directly connected to the tractor so it turns with you, not a tow behind.

I also mow around many trees and really love how the BX handles!

-dan

NJDiverDan said:
I am also in NJ (Warren County) and have had my BX24 for around 1 month now. I went with the 54" fine cut deck as I did not like how far the 60" stuck out past the wheels. Even at only 3 more inches, it was a lot to step over getting on and off the tractor. Also I have one opening in my fence that I would have had to modify to get a 60" deck through.

What are your plans for the bagger? The fine cut deck mulches pretty well, and I just added the actual "mulching kit" which should make the grass really fine. The first few years in our house, we bagged the leaves with the old murray lawn tractor. Last year (before the murray seized) I just mulched the leaves and it was much better than bagging. With the BX24, I am figuring at least 2X better performance, so I did not even consider a bagger. If I do find I need one I will go with either a cyclone rake or a DR directly connected to the tractor so it turns with you, not a tow behind.

I also mow around many trees and really love how the BX handles!

-dan
Dan, where did you pick up your tractor from? Still debating on where to purchase, think it will be hollingers in PA. Great price so far.

I couldnt just mulch the amount of leaves i get, has to be bagged some how. Thanks for the opinions, but if its not a bagger i would have to be something on a trailer. I currently have a 17cu trailer that i tow around on my 70 cub cadet that is no problem around trees. people dont relize that the trailer pretty much follows the tracs of the tractor, except for backing up. With something fixed to the tractor that sticks out far, I would assume it is tough to manuver close to fences or house, or whatever. If you ride up right agaist a fence how would you turn away with the cyclone rake? But i dont have any experience with them so i dont know?
Thanks
Troy

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions... #9  
I have the KUbota bagger - no issues with it at this point although other folks have had issues. It has three separate bags that are easy on/off as well as a locking pin to hold the cover in the up-right position during emptying.

It does require that the 3PT be removed, not what I expected. With less than 20hrs on machine, I have not removed it yet, but before snow flies...

/ Purchasing a BX24 and have questions... #10  
c-and-a said:
It does require that the 3PT be removed, not what I expected. With less than 20hrs on machine, I have not removed it yet, but before snow flies...

This is a very important point. Unlike the bagger for the 2230, the 2350 bagger does not use the 3 pt links. In fact, special brackets need to be bolted to the frame of the tractor (included with the bagger). The bagger then hangs on these brackets. The unit is heavy (200 lbs) and very difficult to maneuver into position and onto the brackets. There are very few similarities between the two bagging units, except for maybe the bags themselves. The 2350 unit is belt-driven compared to the 2230 unit which is shaft-driven.

I look at the 2350 bagger as a decent solution if you plan to keep it on there permanently. My recommendation would be to get the dealer to demonstrate how the bagger is installed and removed, then make your decision.