BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter

/ BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter #1  

NoviceguyInCT

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX24 TLB & old JD 400, JD H140
Anyone else having trouble reading their digital tach/hour meter on their BX24? Can anyone confirm a rumor that Kubota is thinking about replacing these digital meters under warranty with another type of digital hour meter? I heard the new digital read out is red or orange. Any truth to this? Thanks !!

/ BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter #2  
Kinda, normally when operating I can see it OK, but they sure did go out of their way to make it small. I also noticed that a quick jerk of the throttle momentarily throws the RPM's into never never land on the LCD. I don't know about any rumors but a redesign sure would help.

I'm the kind of person that would rather have guages then an idiot light, so I'd rather see a needle then the LCD.

/ BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter #3  
NoviceguyInCT - I have a recent replacement for my tach since I had mine blow at 4 hours... same old black numbers on a light black background...

/ BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter #4  
My BX24 was delivered with a bad hour meter and the salesman said he would have someone come replace it . Still waiting good thing I'm not holding my breath . Other wise used the **** out of it.

/ BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter #5  
Another one of my silly questions: Why do I care what the RPM's are?

I have recently begun the practice of backing off the throttle back just a bit when mowing (rather than WOT) with no reduction in mow quality and (I assume) a benefit in long-term engine life. I can honestly say that if it was 2800 RPM instead of 3100 or whatever, the only thing I would take away from that is "Oh, OK".

It's not like I'm driving the Vette, banging home 3rd 50 RPM before the fuel cutoff...I set the throttle based on situation (mowing-fast, moving logs-middle, pulling stumps-pretty high, riding around the yard with the 10 month old-idle, etc.) and could care less what the actual number is. Haven't missed a tach one little bitty bit.

I guess I've had an opinion about the new BX before, but to add to my earlier thoughts: Why did they bother with the dinky little dime-store excuse for a tach anyway? Pops put a nicer one on the 12 HP Craftsman. I guess I'd see the point if it was a nice integrated gauge tach like on the B series. That'd be nifty.

Results of Kubota focus group: Give me a thingy that tells me engine RPM's.
Kubota's engineers: What's the matter? Gave you what you wanted! Just stop what you're doing and concentrate on the numbers for 30-40 seconds and you'll see what your engine RPM's are! No problem! Just put that alongside the nice fenders we gave you!

/ BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter
Problem is after 105 hours you can hardly read the numbers, they (the numbers) become so darn faint and light they're hardly readable.

Ps: Kubota Corp. replace them the things are practically useless.

/ BX24 Digital Tach/Hour meter #7  
KeithInSpace said:
I have recently begun the practice of backing off the throttle back just a bit when mowing (rather than WOT) with no reduction in mow quality and (I assume) a benefit in long-term engine life.

...I set the throttle based on situation (mowing-fast, moving logs-middle, pulling stumps-pretty high, riding around the yard with the 10 month old-idle, etc.) and could care less what the actual number is.

This is pretty much how I do it as well. I was going to get one of those "Tiny Tach" for my BX 2200 when I first got it but I came to the same conclusion as you fairly quickly. The number just don't matter that much!