BLock Heater install project - BX2350

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #11  
Charliebrn said:
No, it isn't threaded like it was in the 2200. It was a press fit...I just tapped it in with the socket on an extension with a hammer. I coated the mating surface with loctite to make sure it sealed completely, but it probably didn't need it. It was a snug fit...it isn't going anywhere.

With the extra weight/length that the heater has, it sure seems like it could want to work it's way out due to the vibration factor these little engines have at low idle. I think the loctite was a good choice.. Nice step by step on the pics.. I may do this if I plan on keeping the beast in the unheated shed anytime soon..

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #12  
I was "gonna" do it for this winter... but now I'm freaked out about poking a hole in the side of the block and then sliding something in there - hoping it stays put... completely a mental thing... but if I was rational - I'd still have a push mower and a shovel... as they too "get the job done".

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #13  
fishpick said:
I was "gonna" do it for this winter... but now I'm freaked out about poking a hole in the side of the block and then sliding something in there - hoping it stays put... completely a mental thing... but if I was rational - I'd still have a push mower and a shovel... as they too "get the job done".

There is nothing to 'freak' out about :D. Most all liquid cooled engines have freeze plugs. The intent is for the plug to be pushed out of the block in the event the coolant freezes...as it expands, rather then crack the block, hence why there are no threads holding the plugs in.

It's a press fit to install, it's not going to rattle or fall out.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #14  
It's just scary :eek:
Tap out the thing - what if doesn't want to let go and leaves a rough edge that the heater can't seal against... see - I'm not a freak - I just am the guy who always has this experience... from experience... :eek:

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #15  
fishpick said:
It's just scary :eek:
Tap out the thing - what if doesn't want to let go and leaves a rough edge that the heater can't seal against...

LOL you worry to much. Freeze plugs are typically made of a softer material so that won't happen.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #16  
Charliebrn,

Just stoppped by the dealer to pick up a block heater for the BX24. They must have GOLD internal parts!

Nice job on the install! The pics and tips are appreciated

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #17  
Renob - gimme price numbers... I'll then add to it the cost associated with meds to talk me out of the bell tower... poking a hole in the side of my block... no matter - I'll never get "comfortable" with that... Thanks for the counseling MOPAULY... I'm still ready to jump after seeing those pics!

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350
Renob - Thanks for the props! How much did you pay? I think I paid something like $50 for my kit.

Fishpick - Too bad you weren't a little closer...for a case of Killians, I'd put it in for ya.... :)

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #19  
My Stealer got me for $71.00 for the heater. A tad pricey for what it is.

Fishpick, With the directions posted by CharlieBrn and some confidence you won't have any problems. I actually enjoy this type of project. It's nice to work on something new. I'm usually fighting with some old rusted pile of junk! Plus I'm too cheap to pay the Dealer for a job that's this easy.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #20  
Renob - I live my life with the adage "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" - and what amazes me is how often even the things that shouldn't - do!
I love fixing broken old lumps of rust... fabricating something out of parts to make something better - or cheaper... (I'm almost done with my own BX mower stand wheels).
Where I have issue is poking a hole in the side of the block of an expensive machine... I'd take toe offer "for a case of Killians" and let someone else poke away... cause I'm sure my plug would end up inside the block... or some other bizarre episode... :eek:
In all seriousness - I'm actually planning on seeing how the girl starts in when it gets cold out since the BX will be living in a non-heated but enclosed garage... from there, if I have to, I'll poke away. :)
Actually - the directions and explanations here do inspire confidence... Lemme know how yours goes Renob.