BLock Heater install project - BX2350

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #1  

Charliebrn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-2360
Finally got around to installing the block heater I bought last March. Thought I'd post it as a project.

Step 1: Found it was easier to remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator to drain the system.

Attached: Pics of the Kit and the hose removed...

BTW: the same kit is used in the BX2230/BX24/BX2350

Attachments

• heaterkit2 (Medium).jpg
    heaterkit2 (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 8,382
  • radiatorhoseout (Medium).jpg
    radiatorhoseout (Medium).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,984
Last edited:
   / BLock Heater install project - BX2350
Step 2: Lightly tapped on the edge of the freeae plug (Just inside of the lip to keep from scratching the sealing surface) If you are going to remove it this way, punch it in from the right side, since there is more room on this side...the left side (engine forward) has the cylinder wall not far back.

Attachments

• freezeplugloose (Medium).jpg
    freezeplugloose (Medium).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,431
  • freezeplugloosewide (Medium).jpg
    freezeplugloosewide (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 3,507
Step 3: I pulled out the loose plug with a pair of pliers, cleaned the surface.

Step 4: Applied locktite sealer to the surface of the heater (the part that goes in the block.

Step 5: Seated the heater in the block using a 25mm Socket and a small hammer. It slid in without much resistance.

*Note: make sure you orient the connections up and down, not side-to-side.

Attachments

• heaterkitinstall (Medium).jpg
    heaterkitinstall (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 3,320
  • heaterkitinstalled (Medium).jpg
    heaterkitinstalled (Medium).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,510
Step 4: mask off the connections, paint the heater

Step 5: Seat the electrical connector, push on the clip and secure the core with some nylon ties.

Step 6: refill the system with anti-freeze, run to make sure no leaks.

Step 7: Have a beer...Killian's Irish red maybe???

Attachments

• blockheaterinstalled (Medium).jpg
    blockheaterinstalled (Medium).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3,122
   / BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #5  
Well done:)

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #6  
Nice job! I just got the kit to install on my L4330 and it looks like you had a much easier time than I will. In my instructions, it states that I must install the heater in the freeze plug behind my hydraulic pump. That seems like it will be a real pain by the looks of it.:( There are freeze plugs on the other side of the block that are much more accessible. Anyone have an idea why it would need to be done this way in a specific freeze plug?:confused:

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #7  
Good job & nice pics.
In lookin at your finished pic, Kubota has done some changes to the fuel injection pump from the previous BX series. The throttle control and cable assembly have been moved to the rear of the pump and it looks like a spring assist has been incorporated into the throttle control.
I'm going to guess that the modified fuel injector pump is where Kubota made that additional hp gain.

Volfandt

Attachments

• fuel filter #1.jpg
    fuel filter #1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 7,611
Yea, quite a bit different. I noticed that the shut-off solenoid works differently too. When you shut off the tractor, the solenoid extends for something like 2 minutes to shut off the tractor, then is released again, to normal running condition. At least a defective solenoid won't keep her from running...you could manually kill the fuel.

Thanks for all the kind comments about the heater.

KB4330, I'd be careful...not sure if there is a cylinder wall behind the other plugs...or how much room you'd have... I'd stick with their instructions...my plug came out real easy.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #9  
So on the BX2350 you have the the same engine as my BX24 (I think) - my question is, that block heater you installed - does it just "slip in"? Your description does not make it seem to be threaded. What makes the seal between it and the block?

No, it isn't threaded like it was in the 2200. It was a press fit...I just tapped it in with the socket on an extension with a hammer. I coated the mating surface with loctite to make sure it sealed completely, but it probably didn't need it. It was a snug fit...it isn't going anywhere.