BLock Heater install project - BX2350

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #21  
Your tractor will start in cold weather, but it won't like it. It will bang and thrash around until the engine gets warm. As shown in the pictures, it is next to impossible to do anything wrong removing the freeze plug. If you are concerned about it going into the block, then have the dealer do the install. I never recommend that someone do any mechanical operation that they don't feel comfortable doing. Either way, you should have a block heater installed, even if you have to pay to do it. The reduced wear and tear on your tractor will more than offset the cost of the heater and installation. Dusty

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #22  
Slapped the block heater in the BX24 today. Went in without a hitch!

Chaliebrn - Killian's sounds good, but went with a Labatt's Blue to complete the project!

Fishpick - As Dusty said, It is almost impossible to mess up the freeze-plug removal. The way the block is designed there just isn't enough room for this plug to fall in the block.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #23  
I'm still thinkin' about it... I'm not really that worried about the job... just not sure I need it for the time/reward factor to kick in.
Did you paint yours too? Or just drain, KO the plug, jam the new one on in and drink a beer?

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350
Not sure if Renob painted it or not, but Kubota recommends it to prevent corrosion. I agree...it just looks like it needs painting....

Renob: Good second choice on the Labatts! *cheers*

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #25  
OK - I hate to do this because this thread seems to spring up everywhere... BUT... what color paint did you use to match the block and where did you get it... (see, sounds like I'm gonna do it, huh?)

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #26  
I used Plasti-Kote Engine Enamel Universal Gray that I purchased at TSC.

It seems to be a good match. At least in an area that will never be seen.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #27  
have any of you used the magnetic block heaters that go on the bottom of the oil pan. Or are they any good.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #28  
Yessir..... I have used them. Old air cooled trencher engines to be exact. Also used them on fuel tanks for diesel trucks. I tried one on my 7510 and couldn't get enough surface for the mag to work. Ended up with a prefered block heater, which is noted here on this forum somewhere.

Be careful...they get hot!

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #29  
Another option, if they still make them, is the dipstick tube oil heater. Keeps the oil warm and the engine easier to turn over. Nice and clean for those mechanically shy, nothing to take apart on the tractor.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #30  
With the variety of thin oils (especially synthetics) available, heating the oil is probably not nearly as beneficial as it once was.

The block heater adds warmth where it is needed most--the combustion chamber.