BLock Heater install project - BX2350

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #41  
At least there was no damage other than the heater and cord.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #42  
Yes. I'm so glad it burned immediately after I plugged it in and there were no highly flammable objects, liquids or gasses nearby! $95 is very cheap compared to replacing a 26x36 2-story garage/workshop!

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #43  
I plugged it in the other day and the cord immediately caught fire. The dealer said that the burn-out was most likely due to the heater shorting out. That made sense to me because the cord was not frayed at all and the only "fuse" is the circuit breaker which is rated for much larger wire, of course. Fortunately my extension cord is a high gauge wire, so just the pig tail fried. I used the heater for about 5 months every year since 2007, so I feel like I got my moneys worth out of that original unit.

yikes. something to keep in mind for those of us who like to start these remotely and/or with timers!

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #44  
Yes. I've been contemplating remote control myself! Though I guess it could flame out any time...not just when initially plugged in.

I was wondering if anyone makes a fused outlet or cord that I could install between the block heater and the extension cord. If I had a fuse that was appropriately sized for protecting the pig-tail, I think the fuse would blow safely and the cord would not catch fire. I'm going to look for on on-line today. If I find one, I'll post the details.

/ BLock Heater install project - BX2350 #45  
I looked around for a convenient way to add a fuse to the cord and here are my findings...

First, the cord on the block heater is 18 gauge wire with a 10 amp rating. My extension cord is 16 gauge, my circuit is 12 gauge with a 15 amp breaker, so the block heater cord was the weakest link.

I didn't find anything that was available "off the shelf" that fit my application. I decided to make something simple. Here are the parts I used.

Parts.jpg

A 12" long 16 gauge extension cord, lighted plug, fuse holder, 10 amp fuse...also two wire nuts and some black electrical tape. I purchased most of these parts on Amazon, just because it was easy.

I carefully sliced open the cord jacket and teased out the black wire. I snipped it and stripped it as appropriate for wire nut connections. I snipped and stripped the fuse holder leads as well. Twisted and applied the wire nuts to both ends. Then taped the cords.

FinishedItem.jpg

I installed the cord with the lighted plug on the end nearest the block heater so I can quickly see the power is still available to the block heater or conversely, I'll see when the power is off for some reason...fuse or otherwise.

Installed.jpg

That's it. Pretty simple. I feel better knowing my little fuse should blow before the cord fries.