cold weather start

/ cold weather start #1  

lil_country

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 B3030 & 2006 Cub Cadet LT1045
I have been surprised at how much moderately cold weather affects my B3030 when starting. I notice a significant difference in starting at just 50 degrees. Is this normal? We don't usually have really cold or prolonged winters here, and I don't expect to use it much in the winter since it gets dark so early, so I haven't considered putting in a block heater. I would appreciate any advice or reccomendations. Will a block heater help significantly? What can I expect to pay for one?

Thanks

/ cold weather start #2  
Don't know about the B3030 specifically, but it makes a real difference with my BX2350 as it did with my BX2200. A couple hours with the block heater made a real difference. My brother noticed the same thing with his 7510, so I suppose it's normal.... I just posted a project on the install of the BX heater.

/ cold weather start #3  
A diesel motor is affected by temperature change more so than a gas motor, so the colder it gets the more glow plug times and warm up times increase.
It is just the nature of diesel motors.
When the temps start freezing then you may want to warm it up some how like park it in garage or tarp it just to help it out.

/ cold weather start #4  
The M tractors are amazing for starting immediately. No preheating just turn the key and it runs even in colder weather. Have a block heater installed but not sure it will be needed this winter. We will see.

/ cold weather start #5  
lilcountry, I noticed the same with my B3030, as you said at just below 50*even with more glow time.

B3030,403 Loader, 72MMM, 60 BB, 72" RB

/ cold weather start #6  
I don't think you need one if it's not under 30 deg much. It might just take a few extra seconds on the glow plugs or a few minutes idle time.

At 10 below the first year I owned mine scared me into a heater no matter what anyone said. It was metal grinding on metal. It was enough for me.

/ cold weather start #7  
Same here in East Texas when it's in the 50's, 40's, etc. About 10 seconds with the glow plugs and it starts just like it's in the 90's.

I wouldn't waste good time and money (purchase and power) in the south.

JMO.

/ cold weather start #8  
You might want to have your injection timing checked. If it's off a little, it can make a big difference in how easy a diesel starts. These non-turbo'd, high-compression ratio engines should be among the easiest of diesels to start.

/ cold weather start #9  
lil country, I believe cp1969 gave some good advice, get the fuel delivery system checked. In Minnesota it's already been in the twenties and my B3030 has been starting just like it did in the summer, great. If I lived in your locale I would be using synthetic 10W-30 oil in the winter months and save the money you'd spend on the block heater. The lead mechanic at my dealer said we should use 5W-30 oil in Minnesota in the winter because it's so much easier on the engine at start-up for our below 0 temps.

/ cold weather start
Thanks for the replies. When we have our next cool spell I'll try a little more glow plug time and if I don't see improvement, I'll have the timing checked.