Tires Ag Tires or R4

/ Ag Tires or R4 #1  

excel0006

Bought a M8540 about a month ago and it came with ag tires that were a bit aggressive on my grass while cutting and the dealer was nice enough to switch them for the R-4's. Just curious what type of tires you guys are using. The R-4's are shorter and wider while the ag tires were taller and thinner. The ag tires came with the 150 pound hub on each rear wheel but did not come with the R-4's. Anybody know if we made an even trade dollar wise or is one tire more expensive than the other? Thanks for your comments.
Love my Kubota!

Tom

/ Ag Tires or R4 #2  
Tom -- This is one of the great debates of tractor ownership and has been discussed exhaustively. Try using the Search function and be prepared to give yourself a few hours to read it all.

Welcome aboard!

Pete

/ Ag Tires or R4 #3  
excel0006: If you need to put a lot of hp to the ground, unless you are working on hard surfaces, your traction will be limited with R-4's. The plus side, is durability, good looks, and gentler on your lawn!

/ Ag Tires or R4 #4  
excel0006: The dealer is being more than fair by exchanging tires at no extra charge, if both R-1's and R-4's were new or were equal in condition. For your size tractor, the R-4's would be a considerable price increase. The disadvantage you have with the R-4's; the rear wheel width can't be adjusted to your liking for your terrain?

/ Ag Tires or R4 #5  
I use filled R4s and get good traction for what I do.

/ Ag Tires or R4 #6  
I use R-4's on my B7800 and no problems in the last 3yrs. So far no complaints from my customers on their grass and no real traction problems with mud, sand, or going though the woods. They even worked in really deep water - we flooded pretty bad this past spring and was hauling sandbags to flooded out houses on my street. A buddy of mine that does the same type of work has turf tires. Nice on the grass but has to stay clear of everything else. (I've pulled him out a few times.)