Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help

/ Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help #1  

moeh1

Gold Member
Tractor
B2150DT / Oliver OC-3
Has anyone upgraded their machine? I originally thought I could try and squeeze in a small aftermarket alternator, but the spacing is tight and I think I might be better off with a stock set-up. I checked with the Tractorsmart folks, the whole goods part kit B9322 isn't available anymore. So I am looking for anyone who has upgraded theirs and saved the directions while Ronny looks for the individual parts.
Thanks in advance

/ Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help #2  
Have you looked at other jap pattern tractors with higher amp alternators in a small package?

Soundguy

/ Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help #3  
How about going to a salvage yard and start looking under hoods (if their still there) and pick the size you need, it may take awhile but worth a shot.

/ Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help
Yeah, I gave that a lot of thought. Tractor is in one spot, shops in another, long distance fab leaves alot to be desired. The whole goods kit really was a decent deal ( less than buying an alternator outright!), just isn't available anymore.
I think Ronny can come up with brackets etc. but I still need a few instructions on wiring, have to find/bypass the old external regulator etc.I posted and was hoping someone might have been here before me.....

/ Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help #5  
It is worth looking for substitutes. I recently had my alternator
fail on my JD 955. The NipponDenso unit is very similar to, but
not the same as some small alternators found in Japanese small
cars. The ND in the JD is an Expensive part, new or rebuilt. You
can buy replacement internal regulators and rectifiers for $30-40.
Mine had a dead stator, so no dice on rebuilding it.

Anyway, I eventually discovered that the ND alternators in Suzuki
Sprints or Samurais would work cuz the Yanmar folks who made the
955 conveniently gave me an extra hole on the alternator support
bracket. The slightly bigger unit ($30) went right in and it is 55Amps,
too.

Another possibility is going with a self-exciting alternator, but that's
another story.

/ Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help #6  
1 wire self exciters are yucky...

Stick with a 3 wire idiot lamp or triggered/tickled field type unit...

Soundguy

Well, it took awhile but Tractorsmart got the instructions for me! Waahoo. They are for both B1750 and my 2150, decided to share in case anyone else goes down this path. They are PDF attached here. The parts do get pricey. I picked up the alternator off Ebay at an attractive price, so I'm going to slurge and get the others. It has new hood and air cleaner supports and a new multiple pulley system with 2 offset belts plaus relay and wiring harness, so I think I would have been in tough shape trying to stuff any odd junkyard alternator in here, which is what I had concluded before.

Attachments

• B9321, B9322 Dynamo Kit.pdf
    382.2 KB · Views: 584
   / Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help #8  
moeh1,

Yahoo ! That's it.

Now to try to round up the parts... but only AFTER I make sure I have to upgrade the alternator.

Do you think Kubota even has the parts any longer ?

Tim, glad you found this.
Call or email Ronnie at tractorsmart, he was nice enough to do all the legwork for me after some other Kubota shops let me down and his prices are OK too. I remember a couple pieces took longer as they had to come from Japan, but I bet they still have everything available. I remember the v belt was old and it didn't last long.... I did get the alternator off ebay new as a takeoff, that saved hundreds$$$. Also, the new air cleaner bracket isn't really necessary. The old one is bolted in place, the new one has a rubber strap so you can pull the air cleaner easier. If I was doing it again, I wouldn't buy that part.

/ Kubota 2150 alternator upgrade help #10  
Marty,

Thank you again for all of the info.

I really appreciate it.

How long did the replacement take you when you did it ?

Weekend project ?

Of course, I could save all of this work if I could talk my wife into letting me upgrade to a B3030 with the Cab. But so far, I have not convincing enough.