PTO not disengaging

/ PTO not disengaging #1  

Marcussen

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L2800 HST
I have a problem with my PTO lever not disengaging the PTO. It looks like the cable going from the lever to the transmission is sticking. I see two possible problems

1. The cable is corroded or needs lubrication.
2. The spring on the transmission end is not strong enough to pull the cable back.

I can probably lube the cable myself, but the tractor has only 53 hours on it and I have had it 4 months. I know I can take it to dealer but if all he is going to do is squirt some oil on it and call it fixed then I will do it myself.

I guess my question is if there is some problem with the cable that the dealer needs to fix or replace. This is a safety issue and since the tractor is less than 10 months out of the factory it seems like an early failure.

/ PTO not disengaging #3  
Based on other posts, sounds like you have a corroded cable. Let us know how this turns out. It seems like it could be a somewhat common problem in the 2800/3400. My 2800 has been fine so far. If you find a way to lube the cable, let me know. It might not hurt to lube it a few times a year.

/ PTO not disengaging
MDM said:
Based on other posts, sounds like you have a corroded cable. Let us know how this turns out. It seems like it could be a somewhat common problem in the 2800/3400. My 2800 has been fine so far. If you find a way to lube the cable, let me know. It might not hurt to lube it a few times a year.

I haven't found a way to lube it yet, it has that rubber boot thing on it. Makes it hard to get any oil in there. I guess it's supposed to keep out water (did not seem to work)

/ PTO not disengaging #6  
Marcussen said:
I haven't found a way to lube it yet, it has that rubber boot thing on it. Makes it hard to get any oil in there. I guess it's supposed to keep out water (did not seem to work)

Had the exact problem w/ my L3400, w/ 45 hours on it. It appears that it finally got fixed during the 50 hour service by the dealer, who indicated that they had "adjusted the linkage". It took them 3 trys to get it...first try they couldn't recreate the problem, they said; second try they messed with the switches up by the PTO lever; and this time, after I provided them with the postings here on TBN relating to similar problems/fixes, they seem to have gotten it right...Much frustration for me up until now, but for now they are back in my good graces...hang in there, it is a fixable problem, but you have to make them hear you.

/ PTO not disengaging
Talked to the dealer, they said bring it in and they would adjust or replace the cable while I waited. Service manager said they had problems with the cable breaking or binding on the HST model. Looks to me like it's adjusted too far out on the lever end and it causes the cable to bind. I could fix it myself but then Kubota would have no problem record to use for future fixes.

/ PTO not disengaging #8  
I noticed the same problem with mine, course when I saw what it was doing, it wasnt a problem. Coming off the PTO Lever, the boot that the cable goes through is shifting to the side instead of going straight down the cable tubing. To me its not a big deal, I just stick my finger down at the boot and push it straight. Im going to look at it more in depth this weekend than taking it in to the dealer.:D Hope thats whats happening to yours.

/ PTO not disengaging
Dweeks said:
I noticed the same problem with mine, course when I saw what it was doing, it wasnt a problem. Coming off the PTO Lever, the boot that the cable goes through is shifting to the side instead of going straight down the cable tubing. To me its not a big deal, I just stick my finger down at the boot and push it straight. Im going to look at it more in depth this weekend than taking it in to the dealer.:D Hope thats whats happening to yours.

sounds like the same problem, pushing the boot straight does disengage the PTO, adjusting the cable so the sleeve is not so close to the lever may fix the problem. But then it worked fine for the first 4 months I had it. I will let the dealer fix it, they said 15 minutes to adjust or replace the cable. Since the dealer is close and the tractor is under warranty I want it corrected by them.

/ PTO not disengaging
I took the tractor to the dealer, they replaced the cable, it was frayed on the lever end. The installed and adjusted the new cable, it works for now.
Hopefully it will last longer than the 53 hours the first one did. I still think the return spring is too weak.