BX-2350 engine problems

/ BX-2350 engine problems #11  
Ozzphest said:
No the first post I wanted to start with. I just really started using my BX and have about 4hrs. on it. I have moved some firewood with the FEL with no problem. Today I moved some sand and after about the fourth load the tractor started to bog down almost stalling. I stopped the tractor and put the throttle down to idle and the engine cycled up/dwn from 800 rpm`s-1300 for about half a minute. Once it evened out I tried to pic up the bucket and move the tractor and as soon as I turned up the throttle and started moving forward the engine started to dog again. This is still the first tank of deisel complements of the dealer. I turned the tractor off for a few minutes, then started it again and after about 2 bucket loads it would start to act up again. Anybody have any thoughts on this. Thanks!
Its water in your fuel. Get new treated fuel. Have dealer change filters.

/ BX-2350 engine problems
Thanks spyderlnk! I got the same answer this morning from someone I know who has a B-series. I looked at the fuel tank cap this morning and there was considerable moisture on the inside. Maybe the dealer filled it up with summer grade thinking I would use it up quickly. It has been sitting out in cold moist conditions with half a tank for over a week now :(

/ BX-2350 engine problems #13  
Hi hwew,

How do you handle the cold temperatures? I live in Buffallo and have the same concerns as you. If you buy fuel in the winter monthes do you assume that it is already winterized or do you always use an additve in the cold monthes?

Thanks

/ BX-2350 engine problems #14  
Yeah, I have that trouble. Something Im starting to do that may turn out to be effective - Every morning I go out and take the cap off and wipe out the condensate with a paper towel. Well see....
larry

/ BX-2350 engine problems #15  
ewoz said:
Hi hwew,

How do you handle the cold temperatures? I live in Buffallo and have the same concerns as you. If you buy fuel in the winter monthes do you assume that it is already winterized or do you always use an additve in the cold monthes?

Thanks

When I used to live in up state N.Y. 22 years ago we used to cut our diesel fuel with kerosine. 30-50 percent of kerosine worked fine for us.

When I lived there that is what I was told it was cut with so that is what I used. I purchased fuel from a fuel station that I knew were on top of it so i did not have to worry but when I was out of town that is when I cut my own fuel in the diesel truct that I had.

I don't know if it is a good thing to do in modern diesel engines since most diesel fuels now are low sulpher.

In North Carolina I use an anti gell additive and it seems to work fine.

One brand I used was Howes. It claims you cannot over treat your fuel and it will not void your engine warranty. I ran my tractor with just this stuff down to 12 degrees F. and had no problems. But it gets much colder up there in up state N.Y.
I guess it might be best to ask around and also contact Kubota and ask what they recommend to winterize diesel fuel to -40 degrees F. I guess that would be a safe number. I have been in temps as low as -42 F. in the mountains in up state N.Y.

I know a good thing to do is keep your fuel tank full at all times.
And as I mentioned before, purchase a Mr. Funnel. It does trap water.

Another thing that just came to my mind is will the new low emmision diesel fuels have these problems?

Mabye we can get some help on this subject from someone by TBN.

/ BX-2350 engine problems #16  
If you are using ULSD, on- or off-road, you cannot cut it with kerosene since there is no ULSD kerosene available here in the USA. Your best bet is to use an additive like Power Service, 3oz per 5 gallons of fuel. Refineries are now producing winter blend ULSD which should be good against gelling to at least -20F depending on your region.

Water in the fuel is another matter entirely. All underground strorage tanks have water in their tank bottoms, sometimes as much as 6" worth. I know because I used to own a station that pumped alot of diesel. Your best defense against water in your fuel is to use a Mr Funnel, or some other water seperator filter, when you fill your tractor. If your tractor stays out a lot in the winter, fill the tank AFTER using the tractor to help eliminate any chance of condensation in the tank.

/ BX-2350 engine problems #17  
I think the condensate issue is getting overblown. There is no need to wipe off the inside of your fuel cap every morning. If there was, every tractor sitting on the dealer's lot in northern climates wouldn't run right.

What I wish was that someone would make a fuel filter for our Kubotas with a pet cock on the bottom to drain water on a semi-regular basis. I am about to replace the fuel filter on my L3000 because of this. It is nowhere near the end of it's 400 hour filtering life but I am sure it has some water in the bottom now from all the condensate cycles it's been through.

I have toyed with the idea of replacing the whole fuel filter assembly with a Stanadyne FM10 or FM100. Both have water separating and draining capability; the FM100 will also take a 100 watt heater.

/ BX-2350 engine problems #18  
cp1969 said:
I have toyed with the idea of replacing the whole fuel filter assembly with a Stanadyne FM10 or FM100. Both have water separating and draining capability; the FM100 will also take a 100 watt heater.

Stanadyne filter with a heater seems like a good good thing up north.

A question, Does the FM100 come with a priming pump?

I believe Stanadyne makes very good anti gell additives for winter. It has been a while since I seen some. I think it was around 1995. That would be a good additive to look for.

/ BX-2350 engine problems #19  
I think you can get one as an option.

/ BX-2350 engine problems #20  
Hate to say it, but what you really need is a barn. BX's just ain't weatherproof. Hope they fixed the dash switches or your emergency flashers will come on after heavy rain. :rolleyes: