BX24 Blown Engine

/ BX24 Blown Engine #1  

vegasguzzi

Have you guys had any problems with your BX engines? My BX24 is back in the shop for the fourth time since I bought it in April of 06. This time it is for a blown engine.

/ BX24 Blown Engine #2  
Wow, the engine did not even last a year?

What happened?

/ BX24 Blown Engine #3  
Are you assuming that the engine is blown, or did the dealer tell you that it self destructed? I have never heard of one of the Kubota engines failing in a BX before, but anything can happen. If you are having that much trouble with it, I would suggest that you try pushing Kubota for a replacement machine. One thing to keep track of the time that it spends in the shop. All shop time is supposed to be added to the end date of the warranty, since you were not able to use it when it is in for repairs. I believe that they have to keep it for 24 hours before this goes into effect. I know that is how it works with cars, so I will assume that the same should apply to tractors.
Dusty

/ BX24 Blown Engine #4  
vegasguzzi said:
Have you guys had any problems with your BX engines? My BX24 is back in the shop for the fourth time since I bought it in April of 06. This time it is for a blown engine.

what? What?? WHAT???

:eek: :eek: :eek:

/ BX24 Blown Engine #5  
Dusty said:
All shop time is supposed to be added to the end date of the warranty, since you were not able to use it when it is in for repairs.

Not so.

Kubota promises to make warranty repairs within 30 days of getting the tractor. The only way the warranty extends is for repair parts, which are warranteed 90 days no matter what.

Russell in Texas

Attachments

• botawarranty.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 320
   / BX24 Blown Engine
No assuming about it. I got the word from the dealer today. I was running the tractor and it started dumping smoke out of the exhaust and shutdown. The dealer opened up the engine and said the number one cylinder has oil in it which bent the rod.

/ BX24 Blown Engine
The previous times in the shop;

First time; Crack in the cover for the rear hydraulics. We waited for 4 weeks for a replacement part. Kubota insinuated that I caused the problem when they saw a cracked tooth on my scraper. They did honor the warranty when I pointed out the scraper was matched to the machine.

Second time; Hose for hydraulics was cross threaded and leaked lots of hydraulic fluid.

Third time was to replace the replacement cover for the hydraulics because the unit Kubota shipped the first time arrived with a hairline crack in it. The dealer installed it so I could get the machine back and ordered another cover.

My machine has a total of 60 hours.

/ BX24 Blown Engine #8  
I thought that if you bought a Kubota that you were buying the best and would not have worry about it. Oh well just goes to show you that all brands can be prone to have serious problems!

/ BX24 Blown Engine #9  
California, being a very consumer friendly state, must have some kind of law in place to take care of this. Perhaps a lemon law, if not that, a warranty of usage and merchantability (that the product will be able to be used by the purchaser in the way it was intended to be used). My guess is, if you checked into it yourself a little, called Kubota, and asked for a new Tractor, they might listen. You may also want to call either a consumer protection agency, the State's Attorney General's office, or even a lawyer, to find out what your options are. I am not suggesting you sue Kubota, but you should be able to expect more for your money than this, and Kubota needs to acknowledge that.

This is not legal advice, just a fellow Kubota user (and happy customer). Kubota seems like the kind of company that will be reasonable. Your dealer is likely not going to be able to get you what you need.

/ BX24 Blown Engine
The dealer has been pretty good about things so far. I called Kubota customer service and expressed my dissatisfaction over the time for replacement parts. I was promised a return call and never received one.

The dealer told me today that they want to replace the engine instead of trying a rebuild. Kubota disagrees. I guess Kubota is pushing back and implied that the engine failure is a use issue and should not be covered under warranty without further investigation.
The dealer said corporate is concerned about the number of scratches I have on the machine with the low number of hours. (I have a small orange grove on my property and driving through the trees is like thistles) The tractor has been serviced only by the dealer, and the only implements I used have been purchased through the dealer. So I really don’t understand the use issue. The dealer is talking to others at the corporate level. I believe in the machine and would buy another one; I know any company can produce a Monday machine. I won't get upset until I get some kind of definitive answer from Kubota on how they plan on repairing the machine.

The frustrating part of the whole deal is my yard is completely torn up while my tractor is in the shop. So I have to rent another tractor, like I did before while Kubota decides about the warranty.

So far my impression of Kubota is the warranty is honored only if the tractor sits in your garage and the only accumulated hours are from local parades on dry days.