QuickTach pins LA852 Loader

/ QuickTach pins LA852 Loader #1  

patrick_g

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L-4610HSTC
I have always had problems with the pins in my LA 852 loader. Digging in a gravel pile, dirt, even using pallet forks handling brush I seem to knock a keeper out and then the pin works its way out. Sometimes I find them sometimes I don't and have to buy more.
Eventually I welded chain to the pin and the FEL so when the pins were removed they dangled on the chain. It was fairly small chain but it was welded link not just twisted junk.

Recently I broke a chain and lost a keeper and then the pin. I ordered new pins, two from the dealer where I bought the tractor (to have a spare) and one from another dealer as a backup so just in case I would be able to get back in action. Both dealers received oversized pins that couldn't possibly work, too large in diameter and a few inches longer.

Apparently, the regional parts depot for Kubota is Dallas Texas and they assume that the parts they are sending out are right because the label has the right number on it. Neither dealer was immediately able to convince Kubota that the pins were wrong. There is no feedback system in place for dealers to communicate errors to Kubota in a clear and concise manner.

Working with the parts guy at my dealer we traced the right pin on a piece of blank paper and wrote the dimensions on it and faxed it to the parts depot. Hopefully they will at least stop sending parts that are not even close in size to what is needed.

So meanwhile I can't do my work and have to wait for some revelation to happen with the regional Kubota folks and they send the right parts.

I'll be welding significantly stronger chain to the new ones. maybe not 3/8 grade 70 but something substantial.

Both dealers say they order very few of these pins. How is it that others don't have my problem?

What do youi other Kubota FEL users do to not lose pins out of your FEL quicktach?

Pat

/ QuickTach pins LA852 Loader #2  
Pat, I don't have a quick attach but I kept losing the lower bucket pins. Got fed up and replaced them with a bolt and nylon lock washer. Never had any proplems since.

/ QuickTach pins LA852 Loader
Egon, the pins in question are not the keeper pins but the big ones (over an inch in diameter) taking the load of the bucket or other implement.

I too thought of using a bolt and a nylock in place of the keepers and can't promise that I won't but it is a nusience to have to have two wrenches to be able to change something on the quicktach. Sort of takes the quick out of quicktach.

Funny update: After removing the remaining pin from the quicktach on the loader, I misplaced it. Maybe this is a senior citizen memory thing! After looking for the pin for 15 min I found a new unused spare. So I actually have two pins and could use the FEL... IF AND ONLY IF I can find the now lost pin that was the one that wasn't lost in action in the first place. ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

Pat

/ QuickTach pins LA852 Loader #4  
Senior moments are H**L. Don't ask how I know but I have been having them all my life.

Vernon

Tex, I suffer from CRSS (Can't Remember Some Stuff!)

Now that I have two pins I find the palet forks side of the quicktach is buggered up from when the pin came out and I didn't notice right away. I took the foorks off to lighten the assy and used a chain to hoist the quicktach part up into the air and moved my HF 12 ton press into place and managed to straighten one side but can't do the other.

Looks like a sledge hammer and drift pins or similar are next. If that fails I will have to get professional help. Then after the counselling session I will take it to a machine shop.

Meanwhile I can use the hay spike and FEL bucket but of course the pallet forks are what I need right now.

Pat

/ QuickTach pins LA852 Loader #6  
I find that whenever I misplace something that I find it in the last place that I look. Don't know why it works like that, but it always does.
The problem with the wrong parts could possibly be that they were mis marked when they arrived from the OEM supplier. What it will take is for someone to compare the engineering drawing for that part number to the actual part received from the supplier. Mistakes such as this were fairly common before computers. Today, there should be checks along the way to keep this from happening. The hardest part will be finding someone that cares enough to take the time to resolve it.

Dusty, There are some folks for whom finding something in the last place they look is not a familiar process and keep on looking because they are sure it was somewhere elese so the one they found can't be THE ONE.

Good assessment of the logistics issue. One of my pet peeves (also spelled, peaves) is calling somewhere to check stock and being told they have a couple in stock. Then when I make a 60+ mile round trip to get one there aren't any actually on the shelf, just in the computer.

Recently when shopping on line for a TV I told all candidate suppliers to confirm that the product was not just in the computer or due in real soon now but that they could actually touch it or produce a serial number. That elliminated about 90% of the folks claiming to have the item IN STOCK.

In the case of Kubota, according to the manager of the dealer where I bought my tractor,they are about to field a new parts application that should be a big improvement.

I thought when the parts guy traced a pin and dimensioned the drawing and faxed it in that it would have made more impact but I guess they are still waiting to find someone that cares AND knows how to take care of the issue. Finding someone with one of the criteria is easy but finding someone with both is usually much harder.

Pat