accordionman

Gold Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L3000DT, FEL.
i am confused. i have read you are not supposed to use 4 wheel drive on
hard surface, but i would think this means at a high speed. what do you do
when you are clearing snow? i would think it would be an advantage to use
it on snow. my tractor, a L3000DT, is the first one i have had with 4 wheel
drive, so please give me some feedback on this. thanks.
accordionman
william l. brown

/ using 4 wheel drive #2  
The hard surface you refer to means a dry, hard surface that will not allow much slip of the tires. When in 4wd, this causes some wind-up in the gears because the front and rear wheels travel at slightly different ground speeds. When on a snow packed or frozen surface, you will not have to worry about being in 4wd, even though the surface may be hard. There will be enough loss of traction that the gears cannot wind-up, so to speak. Semantics of words can be very misleading, and some of the worst violators are those writing (along with poor editing) of manuals. They are like women; it is what I mean, not what I say. Now, I hope that I haven't done the same thing - confuse the issue more.

/ using 4 wheel drive #3  
<font color=blue>They are like women; it is what I mean, not what I say</font color=blue>

You might as well paint a bullseye on your back now, beenthere. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Not all TBN members are of the male persuasion.
crazy.gif

/ using 4 wheel drive #4  
accordionman
It's ok to use 4x4 pushing snow even if there's a hard surface under it, you still have tire slippage. The hard surface you're talking about that you should not use 4x4 on would be something like clear dry pavement or the like that will not allow tire slippage. You'd really eat up your front tires and cause extreme front end gear wear. My rule is if the front and rear tires can easily turn at different rates of speed it's ok to be in 4x4. If not be very careful or don't use 4x4 on that surface. Also if you must use 4x4 on that surface make sure and don't turn too sharp, don't travel very far in 4x4 and be short and sweet about it. Happy 4x4ing.

/ using 4 wheel drive #5  
I for one plow in 4WD,for you never know w/in a split second 4WD can keep you from trouble,than if your on ice tire chains maybe your ownly hope.

When traveling on tar I use 2WD most of the times,for even the operator's manual says to swtich off now an than.

/ using 4 wheel drive #6  
Hi ya
well most books work on above 10 MPH on hard sufaces thats with no FEL add a FEL and things change fast .alot of ideas are also dated most small cars and some light trucks are now full time 4 wheel drive ,even push button on most newer tractors now if a lever is used to engage 4X4 then it's gear to gear these type are bad for lock ups now newer types are clutch packs that will take some slip if the wheels can't another thing is most roads i have seen in the US are ashfelt(?) very smove(?) our roads in NZ are mainly tar with crushed rock spred on them a smove road ya will get wheel slip if even a bit damp if tar seal roads(kiwi roads)the tar will let go frist any way in answers to ya "Q"if your tractor is set up right there is no way in hell ya will get 100%grip even on hard top if over loaded ya can do some harm..another note is useing 4X4 on hard top as the book states is more aimed at driving on the road in top gear ,the worst thing ya can do is turn full lock in 4X4 on hard top keep ya turns small
catch ya
JD Kid

/ using 4 wheel drive #7  
It's not how hard or soft the road is, but the how large the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. If there's a high coefficient of friction there's very little 'slip' between the tires and the suface of the road. Most 4-wheel drives need some some 'slip' between raod and tires. Dry payments contacting dry tires, in general, have a high coefficient of friction. Ice is hard, but allows slip (needs a thin layer of water).

/ using 4 wheel drive #8  
as long as u are not on a hard dry surface , don't worry about it. plowing snow is fine , there is always enough slippage . if u could't use it plowing snow or on hard dirt waht would be the point of 4wd. if u are on a dry surface for any distance switch to 2wd.

/ using 4 wheel drive #9  
Re:beenthere

Semantics of words have absolutely nothing to do with gender. May I remind you that the worst violators you are referring to are all males?

/ using 4 wheel drive #10  
Re:beenthere

beenthere wrote: <font color=blue>some of the worst violators are those writing (along with poor editing) of manuals</font color=blue>

rattlegirl replied: <font color=red>May I remind you that the worst violators you are referring to are all males? </font color=red>

Where do you draw the conclusion that tech manuals are written only by males?