Tractor
    Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded

Default Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400

I bit the bullet and had the dealer that sold me a blower (just got it yesterday!) source me some chains for my L3400.

We went to put them on and found very little clearance between the rear tire and fender. After the chains went on there was barely any clearance left at all!. So little that I was worried about the chain ripping the fender off while in motion.

So I sent the chains back for now. I'll try a winter without them. I'm in a flat part of town so I imagine it won't be a problem for the most part.

However I think it is pretty wierd that one can't comfortably fit a set of chains on the rear tires.

I have industrials on my L3400.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 4100, Kubota M5400, Kubota M9540

Default Re: Wierd experience trying to get chains on L3400

Set your rear tires wider....

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded

Quote Originally Posted by tydp
    Set your rear tires wider....
    Here's a silly question if there ever was one. How?

I figured I'd have to extend the axle. You telling me that there are multiple width settings for rear tires? Boy do I ever sound silly.

Only problem I see with this now is that my tires are now wider than my bushog - makes fence lines even harder :-(

Tractor
    (Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1910 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new

My drive has about a 10% grade in one area. I have used a blower on the 1910 with R1's and no chains for years. Last year the L3400HST took over the job and I ran the R4's with no chains. Never had a hint of traction problems. I'm sure you get more snow but I think trying it for a year is a good plan. One less hassle getting ready for winter too.
    Kubota L3400-HST, Ford 1910-Gear FEL, John Deere X748SE

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

On my L3130 you either have the tires on the inside or outside of the center hub or have the loops of the rims on the inside or outside of the hub and then on some tractors the "dish" of the hub is pointing inside or outside, check manual but you can have up to 4-6 different widths depending on the combination.

David
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Tractor
    Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL

There is a diagram in the L4400 manual showing how to set the wheel widths. The L3400 might have a similar diagram.
    George
    South Carolina

The size of government is inversely proprotional to the degree of freedom it affords.

"What is truth?" Pontius Pilate